having second thoughts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : having second thoughts

westendorfj
08-22-2010, 02:38 AM
hi i was really wanting to put a cai in my car but im afraid of sucking in water when i have to drive in the rain witch at times can be pretty heavy are there any secondary precautions that i could take to prevent this?

Pauljp
08-22-2010, 05:32 AM
You could install an AEM bypass valve.
http://www.carreview.com/mfr/aem/intakes-filters/PRD_54370_2876crx.aspx
The CAI filter should be installed high enough up the fender that unless the water is higher than your wheels you should not be sucking any water.
The AEM valve will probably never be used, but it does give piece of mind.
I have a CAI and I do not have a bypass valve and I'm ok with that.

AaronGTR
08-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Don't worry about it. There are hundreds of members who have been driving with CAI's for years and never had a problem. As long as it's installed correctly and you leave the splash shield in place in the fender you won't have a problem. If you are really worried about it you can install an AEM bypass valve like Paul mentioned. Some companies have a pre-filter screen that you can put around the outside of a cone filter that can help repel water also. For the most part though you might get a little moisture on the filter, but not enough that the engine will suck any in and cause any damage. You'd have to drive full throttle into a puddle deep enough to submerge the filter. There has to be enough suction for the engine to pull in a significant amount of water. Go light on the throttle, drive a little slower, and try to avoid large puddles when it's raining hard and you won't have any trouble. I'm sure you don't get any harder rain in IL than I get here in FL and I've had no problems.

westendorfj
08-22-2010, 04:15 PM
ok thank you guys for the help and peace of mind

swebster
08-22-2010, 07:17 PM
i have never had a problem with mine rain or snow and i have had mine on for over 2 years