Motor swapping [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Motor swapping

borico4life
08-24-2010, 09:02 PM
i have a 98 grand am GT v6 body is bad basically undriveable i can get my hands on a 03 body ready for a v6 motor but is my motor compatible with it?? Will it fit

borico4life
08-25-2010, 06:55 AM
can someone give me an answer i cant find any topic on this thanks i would greatly appreciate it

juanvan
08-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Short answer No - Different PCM/BCM

Long answer - Wait for a day before bumping thread to the top.

AaronGTR
08-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Technically you could make it work with a custom pcm yes, and the motor will bolt to the transmission... but it's an older smaller engine than what came in the '03 so I don't know why you'd want to use it over the original engine that came with the car. You'd have less HP.

borico4life
08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Technically you could make it work with a custom pcm yes, and the motor will bolt to the transmission... but it's an older smaller engine than what came in the '03 so I don't know why you'd want to use it over the original engine that came with the car. You'd have less HP.

As you can see my status is newbie so terminology is a low point on me *PCM* i don't know exactly what that is but im just looking to get a working car atm i did some damage to my 98 with a deer unfortunately that why i was wondering if it would work in an 03 body so custom pcm means?? do i have to make it custom myself or is there a place i can get one and bolting to the transmission isnt an issue since i have a good tranny aswell i dont know if that body im getting has a tranny but would mine work in it aswell?:attention

sugar ray
08-25-2010, 10:47 PM
It would NOT be worth your trouble to do this. The computer would have to changed and is seriously more trouble then its worth. If you have a good 03 body and just need a motor why not hit a wrecker and find a 03 motor to put into the 03 body? That way you have a direct swap and there would be no need to mess around with anything else. Chances are you could find a good 03 motor for $250 from a yard. With any luck at all, its already pulled and sitting on the shelf. At least, thats how my local wrecker does things. Pulls em as soon as they know the engines are good and as they come in

AaronGTR
08-26-2010, 03:45 PM
As you can see my status is newbie so terminology is a low point on me *PCM* i don't know exactly what that is but im just looking to get a working car atm i did some damage to my 98 with a deer unfortunately that why i was wondering if it would work in an 03 body so custom pcm means?? do i have to make it custom myself or is there a place i can get one and bolting to the transmission isnt an issue since i have a good tranny aswell i dont know if that body im getting has a tranny but would mine work in it aswell?:attention

PCM= powertrain control module. It's what controls the engine and transmission. The computer programming is different between 98 and 99+ since they were new models with different engine and transmission in 99. That answers the second part of your question. Your old engine would bolt up to the trans in an '03, but your '98 transmission will not work. It's a different model with a different case, mounts, axles, etc etc.... it would be even more work to try and make it work.

My advice is, sell the '98 to a scrap yard for parts and/or see if they'll trade/sell you a low miles engine and transmission for the '03 and install those.

Or better yet just try and find a complete used car you can buy that you don't have to work on.