What Optima Battery Part # [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What Optima Battery Part #

G.I.Ceo
08-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know what style of optima battery our GA's take?

I think it is a 75 but was not sure.

Also should I buy a yellow top or red top?

I have no accessories it's all motor mod's.

Thanks again.

germaphobicmonk
08-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Does anyone know what style of optima battery our GA's take?

I think it is a 75 but was not sure.

Also should I buy a yellow top or red top?

I have no accessories it's all motor mod's.

Thanks again.

I think it's a 75 too.

A yellow top is a deep cycle battery, meant for sound systems, etc.

a red top is meant to give you a better start.

stewartfn18
08-25-2010, 10:29 PM
yes its a 75-25

OptimaJim
09-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi Randy,

I noticed your question and wanted to offer some assistance. Unfortunately, there are more than 60 different types of 12-volt automotive batteries and we do not offer batteries that we consider “direct-fit” replacements for every vehicle, including your Grand Am. However, many Grand Am owners have successfully used our batteries in applications that we consider “custom fitments” and may be able to offer input as to which batteries they used and how they safely mounted them.

You can find all the specifications for our YellowTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/specs.php and our RedTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/redtop/specs.php

If your vehicle is stock, a RedTop should work just fine. YellowTops are recommended for vehicles with significant electrical demands, like large stereos, aftermarket alarms and auxiliary lighting. Any custom application should consider these guidelines-

• Hood Clearance – There should be at least ¾” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood. When we do our fitment studies we put a ball of clay on top of the post, and VERY carefully close the hood to make sure that nothing makes contact. By measuring how much the clay is squeezed down when the hood is closed, we can know how much hood clearance we have. This was a specific concern with our Group 75/25 batteries in your Grand Am.
• Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk, the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
• Side Terminals – Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short. We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using.
• Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
• Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
• Heat – Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

I appreciate your interest in our batteries. If you have any other battery-related questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

G.I.Ceo
09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi Randy,

I noticed your question and wanted to offer some assistance. Unfortunately, there are more than 60 different types of 12-volt automotive batteries and we do not offer batteries that we consider “direct-fit” replacements for every vehicle, including your Grand Am. However, many Grand Am owners have successfully used our batteries in applications that we consider “custom fitments” and may be able to offer input as to which batteries they used and how they safely mounted them.

You can find all the specifications for our YellowTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/specs.php and our RedTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/redtop/specs.php

If your vehicle is stock, a RedTop should work just fine. YellowTops are recommended for vehicles with significant electrical demands, like large stereos, aftermarket alarms and auxiliary lighting. Any custom application should consider these guidelines-

• Hood Clearance – There should be at least ¾” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood. When we do our fitment studies we put a ball of clay on top of the post, and VERY carefully close the hood to make sure that nothing makes contact. By measuring how much the clay is squeezed down when the hood is closed, we can know how much hood clearance we have. This was a specific concern with our Group 75/25 batteries in your Grand Am.
• Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk, the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
• Side Terminals – Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short. We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using.
• Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
• Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
• Heat – Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

I appreciate your interest in our batteries. If you have any other battery-related questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries Well I do not have alot of electrical demands at least I don't think.
I am using after market parts such as, intake, headers, custom exhaust, a few pulley mods and after market radio but that is it.
So would the red top battery be enough or should I switch over to the yellow top with these mods?

stewartfn18
09-01-2010, 08:11 PM
a red top will be enough. thats what i have and it works like a charm

G.I.Ceo
09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
a red top will be enough. thats what i have and it works like a charm

Sweet! Thanks. I was a little nervous on which one but I couldn't see spending that kind of money just yet for a yellow top.

OptimaJim
09-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Randy, if your aftermarket electrical demands are relatively-minimal, a RedTop will work just fine. When people start adding large stereo and alarm systems, then YellowTops become a better option. I did notice that you indicated you made some pulley-related modifications. Whenever I hear about pulley modifications, I always encourage folks to check the output of their alternator while the vehicle is running, to make sure it is still producing enough voltage to properly maintain a battery. Some pulley modifications will reduce alternator output, which can shorten battery life. Alternator output can be tested directly at the battery terminals with a multi-meter and should be approximately 13.7-14.7 volts.

Jim McIlvaine
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

GA2000GTSpeed
09-07-2010, 05:00 PM
The basic rule of thumb for a battery is at least 2 CCA per Cubic Inch of your engine. so if your running a SBC 350 you would want at least 700 CCA. the red top i ran with my sbc 350 is a 75-25, 720 CCA. Which that battery is in my GA right now. i have 2 12inch alpine type-r's and i don't even get the whole light surging with the base deal with the red-top

Stefalicious
09-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I have a red top. I have subs, an amp and many lights and the red top works just fine for me. :)

Grandamgtblk99
09-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Pretty impressive for Jim from Optima to find this thread and give some real insite into the Optima batteries. I've been an long time user of optima batteries.

G.I.Ceo
09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all your guys input. I did end up using a red top battery. I plan on posting pics of the ride once I can fix the short I have to my MAP sensor. I have been putting it off for to long now.