New Here! Couple of questions? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Here! Couple of questions?

Jer23
08-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Hello all. Im am brand new to this forum and thought I would say hello. I have bought a 01 GAGT. Little history of the car, 275,000km runs great, needed front and rear brakes, two front wheel bearings also two new rear struts and mounts. All of this has been done by me. Including a large clean up as the car was a complete pig pen inside and out. After a good wash and wax with a steam cleaned interior and the old girl looks pretty good. The car is a DD for me as I have a weekend toy. It will be the "winter Beater" this year.

My questions are this

1) What is recomended for a tranny fluid change as in products. I feel at 275,00km it should be done. I use Royal Purple in my m5.

2) Sometimes when driving out of the blue the tempeture gauge will drop to nothing and the rad fans will come on and stay on. This continues for a little while(hard to say time or km) then just as a switch was hit the temp gauge returns to normal and fans shut off. Never is the cars performance effected at all. No leaks, all fluid levels correct.

Any ideas???

Also all four speakers changed and a oil change done.

Jer

germaphobicmonk
08-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Hello all. Im am brand new to this forum and thought I would say hello. I have bought a 01 GAGT. Little history of the car, 275,000km runs great, needed front and rear brakes, two front wheel bearings also two new rear struts and mounts. All of this has been done by me. Including a large clean up as the car was a complete pig pen inside and out. After a good wash and wax with a steam cleaned interior and the old girl looks pretty good. The car is a DD for me as I have a weekend toy. It will be the "winter Beater" this year.

My questions are this

1) What is recomended for a tranny fluid change as in products. I feel at 275,00km it should be done. I use Royal Purple in my m5.

2) Sometimes when driving out of the blue the tempeture gauge will drop to nothing and the rad fans will come on and stay on. This continues for a little while(hard to say time or km) then just as a switch was hit the temp gauge returns to normal and fans shut off. Never is the cars performance effected at all. No leaks, all fluid levels correct.

Any ideas???

Also all four speakers changed and a oil change done.

Jer

I don't think I would change the transmission fluid if it's never been done before.

Can't really answer the second question.

AaronGTR
08-29-2010, 04:00 PM
First off, stay away from Royal Purple at all costs. Their products suck and are nothing but an advertising scam. I've read the same thing on oil forum, bimmer forums, porsche forums.... people who know DON'T use royal purple!

Best thing to use in your tranny is the new GM Dexron VI. You can use the AC delco brand or the Castrol equivalent. They are about $6-8 a quart though. If that's too expensive for you for a high mileage car, then regular Dexron IV or equivalent will be fine. Stay away from the full synthetics as they make the trans slip too much.

Here's the important part... even if your car has high mileage and the trans fluid has never been changed, you still CAN and SHOULD change it. Clean fluid will always make it run better and last longer. The important thing is that if it's never been changed DO NOT have it flushed! That can stir up junk from the bottom of your pan and it will get up in your seals and you'll be rebuilding your transmission shortly after... don't ask me how I know this. ;) All you have to do is drop the pan and drain the old fluid out, replace the filter and clean the inside of the pan, replace the gasket and bolt it up then refill with new fluid. :thumbs: I believe there is a "how to" on here for how to fill and check the level. Just do a search.

bricooper78
08-29-2010, 04:42 PM
The coolant problem sounds like there may be air trapped in the system...but guys need to double check me on that.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/bcooper78/bleeder_antifreeze.jpg

This is the bleeder. Brass, be careful with it. Yellow is the bottom, just hold it in place, red is the top, and you need to open it. Be careful with it, if you break it, you're S.O.L.

get it running, warm, then open this, til you see coolant, it'll trickle, won't spray out. go easy. shut the engine off, leave it for a few, crack it open a little, til you see antifreeze again, bleed it over and over and over.

that's my guess, hope it helps.

stupid sun was killing the phone, so i did what i could to try to make it viewable, and my engine bay is a pit, i know. lol

Jer23
09-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys.

350rs
09-06-2010, 06:19 PM
yea my thought for the coolant was some kind of air in the system. Has it recently been flushed or anything? Might just be the sensor too. Its pretty cheap. but will cause a mess. And you will need to make sure you get the air out again.