major tranny slippage [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : major tranny slippage

icecats87
08-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Heres a quick summary of how my cars been last couple of weeks. one day it was totally fine engine wise and tranny wise, good shifts everything. then car starts misfiring, fuel injectors are good swapped them around, tested the wires volts are good, plugs and wires are new car still misfired. it was misfiring all day Friday got home new PCM came put it in car hasn't misfired since. so hopefully thats fixed.

But the major problem is after car has been misfiring now at WOT it goes to shift and there is a huge lag it goes to shift then feels like it just stops accelerating for a good amount of time maybe 2-3 seconds? then it catches and accelerates more

Car has about 125k miles on it, and i have not changed tranny fluid yet. should i get the tranny serviced would that help or what else could b the problem for the shift delay. when i put it in 2nd and go WOT it shifts perfectly just not in drive.

AaronGTR
08-30-2010, 04:47 PM
GM made a change to the pressure control valve in the valve body inside the transmission starting in the 02-03 models. Was supposed to solve a soft shifting issue, especially for the 1-2 gear change. If your transmission has never been rebuilt then it probably has the old design in it. Also the clutch plates will wear over time and yours could be worn out. And having old fluid probably doesn't help either. 125k miles and you've never changed it?! You do know it says right in the owners manual it should be changed by 100k miles and earlier under certain conditions right? The soft shift could be any one or a combination of all those things. I'd start out by dropping the pan and changing the fluid and filter and see what that does.

icecats87
08-30-2010, 05:02 PM
GM made a change to the pressure control valve in the valve body inside the transmission starting in the 02-03 models. Was supposed to solve a soft shifting issue, especially for the 1-2 gear change. If your transmission has never been rebuilt then it probably has the old design in it. Also the clutch plates will wear over time and yours could be worn out. And having old fluid probably doesn't help either. 125k miles and you've never changed it?! You do know it says right in the owners manual it should be changed by 100k miles and earlier under certain conditions right? The soft shift could be any one or a combination of all those things. I'd start out by dropping the pan and changing the fluid and filter and see what that does.

we got the car with 115k miles not sure if previous owner changed it but thats the first thing ill do.

Malaclypse
08-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Sometimes changing the fluid will make it worse.

Wish you the best of luck.

icecats87
08-30-2010, 06:13 PM
taking it to a shop up here and there gonna check it out. ill let you guys know whats wrong on thursday after the appointment

AaronGTR
08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Just have them drop the pan to drain it and change the filter. Don't let them hook up to the lines and flush it. Then you will have no problem. Putting clean fluid in never makes it worse.

icecats87
08-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Just have them drop the pan to drain it and change the filter. Don't let them hook up to the lines and flush it. Then you will have no problem. Putting clean fluid in never makes it worse.

There gonna take a look at it, actually almost everything with the tranny is covered on our warranty so if anythings worn down or broken its covered so just gotta see whats wrong

AleroB888
08-30-2010, 08:58 PM
............. when i put it in 2nd and go WOT it shifts perfectly just not in drive.

Sounds like a plan to me..........;)

remiljr
08-30-2010, 10:54 PM

old myth? always heard the same thing about not changing tranny fluid because of the metal shavings in it are helping. always considered this to be bs and always changed anyway. never had a problem. i bet this has been covered! but dont care enough to search

Malaclypse
09-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Just saying... I've seen it happen.

icecats87
09-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Shop said the tranny is shot and they said it would cost $2,000 to fix all he said was clutch is worn down and they need to replace all the electrical parts.......

AaronGTR
09-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Did they take the tranny apart? They can't tell what condition the clutch plates are in without practically disassembling the whole transmission.

icecats87
09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Did they take the tranny apart? They can't tell what condition the clutch plates are in without practically disassembling the whole transmission.

we have a warranty and can't find out exactly what is wrong and if its covered with warranty untill its taken apart, and they wanted a lot of money to talk it apart, so we dont know what were doing right now.