Thermo-Tec Header Tape [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Thermo-Tec Header Tape

G.I.Ceo
09-03-2010, 06:55 PM
So has anyone used this before?
I have uncoated headers and was wondering if this stuff actually works like they say. I have not seen anyone with it before so I was curious.
Was thinking about picking up a roll and doing my headers and possibly exhaust too. Any ideas?

350rs
09-03-2010, 08:30 PM
is this the stuff that looks similar to burlap?

If so i can tell you right now it works. but it dosent work miracles. At least such is the case with a SBC.. i would assume it to transfer to these things.

AaronGTR
09-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Yes, it does hold in some heat. You can't use it on un-coated headers though, as they will still rust underneath from trapped moisture. They have to be at least painted with ceramic header paint but that won't even hold up that well and won't stop rust from the inside or do anything to hold heat in. Really the headers should just be sent out for a full ceramic coating. Jet Hot does a great job and is fairly cheap... by the time you buy enough header wrap to do the whole thing you will have spent almost as much money as just getting them Jet Hot coated.

AleroB888
09-04-2010, 12:16 AM
I've had some success draping larger sheets of the stuff over the pipes, more like shielding than wrapping.