Constant problems with car [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Constant problems with car

legionxxii
09-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Here is the deal I have a 99 Grand am gt coupe that I have owned for 11 months and put maybe 2000 miles on it. The first month and a half it ran fine then fan stopped working and cause it to overheat and blew a headgasket and shot the motor. I got a used motor with 142k miles on it swapped that in got it running ran fine the first 100 miles fuel pump went out. I put new fuel pump in car ran fine again for maybe another 100 miles then tossed 2 codes 1 for camshaft position sensor and another about the fuel lines having a leak or something. Not 50 miles after those codes were tossed I go out today start the car and the car is making a loud ticking noise. Drove the car last night parked it no problem start it up today it starts that. Would that have anything to do with the camshaft position sensor or is it a lifter gone south or worse this freakin motor is shot. The sound is coming from ontop the motor didnt really try to pin point it I just shut the car off cause I sick of dealing with it.

AaronGTR
09-04-2010, 05:26 PM
How many miles did the original motor and car have on it? You might just be unlucky and got a car that was worn out and not well maintained and things are starting to go. They did have a known fuel pump problem (specifically with hot starts) that didn't get fixed until 2002, and you might have had the original pump still. Cam position sensor controls injector firing, so if that's not working properly it can cause the car to go into a default limp mode and can cause problems with it starting and running properly. Ticking noise could be a lifter or it could be piston slap. Piston slap usually only happens when engine is cold and goes away after it warms up. A collapsed lifter the noise won't go away and the ticking speeds up with engine rpm.

legionxxii
09-05-2010, 05:01 PM
The car itself has 196k miles. The owner before me bought it new and had every maintanence record possible. The ticking noise goes away after about 1-2 minutes run time. When it ticks it picks up as rpms go up.

legionxxii
09-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Well now the ticking stays the samelet it run for like 5 mins and it just keeps ticking