Replace Power Steering Pump? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replace Power Steering Pump?

AleroB888
09-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I had a power steering hose rupture today, leaking virtually all the fluid out. I had to drive it about 30 miles after it happened.

My question is, should I also replace the pump now just as a reassurance, because it was run that long with little or no fluid?

AaronGTR
09-04-2010, 04:20 PM
I had to drive home over 100 miles from a track once with a blow PS hose and no fluid, and the pump definitely needed replaced. 30 miles.... eh it's hard to say. Could depend on how high the rpm went and how much fluid was left in it. Might try replacing the line and refill the pump and see what it does. It usually whines really loud right at first and you have to run it to bleed the air out and refill the reservoir several times for it to go away. If you do that and get no more air bubbles in the reservoir and the level doesn't go down, but it's still whining... then you'll need a new one.

AleroB888
09-04-2010, 04:39 PM
I had to drive home over 100 miles from a track once with a blow PS hose and no fluid, and the pump definitely needed replaced. 30 miles.... eh it's hard to say. Could depend on how high the rpm went and how much fluid was left in it. Might try replacing the line and refill the pump and see what it does. It usually whines really loud right at first and you have to run it to bleed the air out and refill the reservoir several times for it to go away. If you do that and get no more air bubbles in the reservoir and the level doesn't go down, but it's still whining... then you'll need a new one.

Thanks, Aaron.

I was on my way to the track today, when it happened. It was running great, too, then I opened it up one time, and saw white smoke out from the back, where it hit the exhaust pipe. Lucky it was not during a race. ;crap