Coolant disappearing...where? Not mixing with oil... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant disappearing...where? Not mixing with oil...

stimpytheman
09-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Hey there everyone, i'm sure these topics have been beat to death but i'm lost...i've read all the related posts a million times and still unsure what to do, i have a 99 grand am GT 3400 V6 and for the past year and a half i've noticed i've had to add coolant to the reservoir about every 2-3 weeks to top off, gradually having to add more over time. No visible leaks anywhere, no puddles under the car, no performance losses, no milky mix on the dip stick or oil cap, just losing coolant. Well, car has overheated once a few weaks ago and following that started losing coolant from in front of the water pump (first external coolant loss issue), changed it,topped off coolant, no issue, now...again....losing coolant from somewhere in the front(passenger) side of the motor, and after turning the car off there is a puddle under the damn thing!!! of course, first thing i thought(originally) before the water pump was changed was the LIM gasket, because of the loss of coolant (not visible) and other things mentioned above, is that probably the case? any thoughts? even now with it losing the coolant externally, there is still no performance loss. PLEASE HELP!!!

XtremeGaGt00
09-07-2010, 08:56 PM
could be the radiator, coolant hoses, timing cover..lim leaking again? water pump leaking again? pretty much can be anything, we cant see it so your pretty much gonna havta search for the source. start high and make your way down.

whiteGT99
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
i have the same problem, in a way.
i have to add coolant once a month or so, but when it was really hot outside and i recently added coolant and then i would shut off my car, the coolant would run out of the overflow hose and make a puddle under the car on passenger side

so that could be why you are getting a puddle

FromTheInside
09-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Sounds like a head gasket. Get a compression test.

[ChaosweaveR]
09-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Sounds like a head gasket. Get a compression test.

Nope.

Your LIM gasket is beginning to fail. Change it ASAP. I had the same exact issue over a year ago.

rocketfast123
09-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Have you checked your heater hoses in the back? Coolant and other liquids have a way of rooming around the motor and drooping in different spots.

WhiteyGAGT
09-08-2010, 03:44 PM
It sort of sounds like a LIM gasket. I just had my issues with that but I never got anything external. Since yours IS external, that might not be the problem. I know I was having to top my coolant too frequently but it didn't last a year and a half. Mine probably lasted maybe a month before it started becoming catostrophic. I had a water pump that also broke on mine around the same time.
For me, it seemed like multiple coolant problems collaborated at the same time. I myself would guess it's not a LIM or anything because all that stuff I've heard is internal. Could be wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.

blazingerbs
09-10-2010, 07:35 PM
;1136567']Nope.

Your LIM gasket is beginning to fail. Change it ASAP. I had the same exact issue over a year ago.

:applause: That's exactly it.

it will fix the overheating problem, mostly

bricooper78
12-29-2010, 05:45 PM
;1136567']Nope.

bringin' another back from the dead--->
Chaos, for some reason you stuck in my head with this, do you happen to remember a post about a LIM leak, and there were pics in it? Several fairly large ones, and it looked like some sort of fancy coffee that had been dumped in the valve covers, it was all over the cap?

now question 2----do you happen to remember what that was called? lol i've been digging and can't find it, and have been trying to replace the FPR and pulled the vacuum out of the valve covers and think i saw cappuccino