Coolant gushing after car shuts off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant gushing after car shuts off

damname
09-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I read the sticky about coolant issues but mine is a bit different i think.

Lately the car has been running a lil bit hotter than normal. Normal is 200 and hotter is 215. After i shut the car off it pukes close to a gallon on coolant out of the overflow hose. After the puking episode the reservoir is empty and it will take close to a gallon. The fans dont appear to be kicking on either. Its dark now or i would try the a/c trick on the fans. I have no idea at what temp the fans should be kicking on.

The hoses are all hot. I have checked the fuses but no idea how to check relays. Anyone ever had this problem?

350rs
09-08-2010, 07:55 PM
if your fans arent running and you do a lot of in down driving that can deff effect temp. Just how hot is it getting? and if your putting that much in, youve certainly got a huge problem that needs to be fixed before it gets worse.

damname
09-08-2010, 08:22 PM
its running at about 215 now. normally it runs at 200.

damname
09-08-2010, 08:29 PM
one thing i forgot to mention is that the coolant was boiling hot. you could head it boiling as it was backing up in the res bottle and then puking out the overflow. its since pushed all the coolant out of the system and i replaced it with water till i figure it out. but it is getting hot enough to boil.

350rs
09-09-2010, 08:26 AM
well sir. you have a serious problem. you shouldnt drive it much untill you figure it out. if at all. make sure your thermostat is opening and that your water pump is working. if you have to, turn your AC on for a bit to get your fans going and then turn it off. Never run just straight water. If its as bad as you say it is you need to just not drive it.

icecats87
09-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I read the sticky about coolant issues but mine is a bit different i think.

Lately the car has been running a lil bit hotter than normal. Normal is 200 and hotter is 215. After i shut the car off it pukes close to a gallon on coolant out of the overflow hose. After the puking episode the reservoir is empty and it will take close to a gallon. The fans dont appear to be kicking on either. Its dark now or i would try the a/c trick on the fans. I have no idea at what temp the fans should be kicking on.

The hoses are all hot. I have checked the fuses but no idea how to check relays. Anyone ever had this problem?

Fans don't turn on till i think 232 degrees im pretty sure its the pressure cap, try getting a new one around 15-17 psi

350rs
09-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Fans don't turn on till i think 232 degrees im pretty sure its the pressure cap, try getting a new one around 15-17 psi

good idea. i hear that they cause quiet the problem with these cars. DO NOT go to oreilly or auto bone however. I got one from each and neither of them fit properlly. Head up to Jim Trenary or something on 70.

oops. nvm. i was thinkin you were somebody else. but the fact still stands. go to a dealer.

damname
09-09-2010, 06:30 PM
hey all thanks for the replies!

i sent the olady up to autozone and she came back with a new reservoir assembly including the cap and sensor for 35.99. not bad me thinks. installed it without a hitch and flushed the piss out of the rad. filled it up with 60/40 green and let it heat up. went back outside and it was at 235 and the fans were going full blast. it cooled down to about 215ish so i shut it off and no puking. i drove the hell out of it and still no puking and the temp is riding slightly over 200.

i am a bit concerned though. i seem to have taken a slight HP hit through all of this. it runs fine but it seems a little weak in the knees. i used to be able to roast the tires and now all i can get is a lil squeak. i may have gotten some bad gas or something. i dunno.

350rs
09-09-2010, 08:43 PM
could have warped a head or something. Keep and eye on all of your fluids.

icecats87
09-09-2010, 09:44 PM
hey all thanks for the replies!

i sent the olady up to autozone and she came back with a new reservoir assembly including the cap and sensor for 35.99. not bad me thinks. installed it without a hitch and flushed the piss out of the rad. filled it up with 60/40 green and let it heat up. went back outside and it was at 235 and the fans were going full blast. it cooled down to about 215ish so i shut it off and no puking. i drove the hell out of it and still no puking and the temp is riding slightly over 200.

i am a bit concerned though. i seem to have taken a slight HP hit through all of this. it runs fine but it seems a little weak in the knees. i used to be able to roast the tires and now all i can get is a lil squeak. i may have gotten some bad gas or something. i dunno.

Thought it would be the cap its always the smallest things that's wrong =)

GA2000GTSpeed
09-09-2010, 10:29 PM
yah if you leave the cap off coolant will boil, when liquids are under pressure they have a higher boiling point.

MKEGuy
06-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I have this exact problem after my 3500 swap! Didn't even think it could be the cap! I'll be off to the parts store in the morning!

Yes I know this is a really old thread but I'm bringing it back up for others to read in case they find themselves in the same situation!

94cutlassvert
06-05-2011, 10:57 PM
was my problem yesturday also hit 230 in the mountains parked the car let it cool and i just happened to have a extra tank in the trunk (lucky me) swaped the cap took off and it didnt pass 210 the rest of the trip