rain getting in car? i think? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : rain getting in car? i think?

350rs
09-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Im at a loss on this one. It rained a good bit friday night here. I left my car out since it was just rain. But it was very heavy. I went out yesterday to go get parts for the Camaro and my passenger floor mat ( thick rubber ) was full of water. Now being the owner of a 22 year old T-Top car.. my first though was sunroof on the GA. But it was dry, unless it ran down a channel and down the a-pillar or something? So i felt all around the windshield. Also dry. So i thought maybe the cowl area was leaking.. but its totally dry under the dash. Its seriously almost like somebody got in my car, and dumped a bottle of water on that mat.

The water on the mat IS just rain water. Looks, smells, and tastes like water. Yes i did taste it, sometimes the only way to know what the fluid is. ( Glad it wasnt pee.. lol) I wont worry myself about it too much, just would like to know what the cause if to see if its fixable under a 25 dollar budget.. haha.

and yes.. the windows are up and sunroof is closed..

Mac0083
09-12-2010, 03:05 PM
...Yes i did taste it, sometimes the only way to know what the fluid is. ( Glad it wasnt pee.. lol)...

how do you know what pee tastes like???

i've had a wet floor board once also. the door wasn't completely shut. just closed to the first click. iirc, nothing else was wet for me to see where it came from, but obviously it came from cracked open door.

Stefalicious
09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I have noticed a few times that my back 2 floor boards have been wet UNDER the floor mats not on top, so it seems like somehow the water is comin up from under the car, I dont think its possidle but I cant explain it either.

bricooper78
09-12-2010, 03:15 PM
c'mon Mac, you can admit it, everyone's done a little experimenting...or had children and got a face full of it while changing a diaper...

iceman
09-12-2010, 03:35 PM
This?

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69650&highlight=floor

Y2KGA
09-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Take the door panel off and check that the plastic water barrier is secured to the door. This is a common cause of leaks.

350rs
09-13-2010, 12:28 PM
This?

i guess thats it? who knows. Ill have a look see and i guess go ahead and replace it. cheap enough.

iceman
09-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Hose down the passenger side area of the windshield.. if water comes inside.. there you go

350rs
09-13-2010, 11:36 PM
simple thinking to figure out a simple problem.. well done. Sadly, i doubt i would have thought of such a simple solution. i will try tomorrow.

bricooper78
09-13-2010, 11:38 PM
just leave it outside, you're about to get soaked now. the rain is about halfway over now, i'm about 3 hours north of you in iowa lol it's heading your way

350rs
09-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Nah, it died about 50 miles north. and the second cluster is gonna be just a smidge west of us. Might get a light drizzle. but thats about it.

AleroB888
09-14-2010, 08:24 AM
This?

Do you think this is a problem that might develop after a windshield replacement? I recently had one put in, but it hasn't rained yet. But the force of the water hitting the car would make this get worse over time, wouldn't it, like you may not notice a few drops at first?

iceman
09-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Do you think this is a problem that might develop after a windshield replacement? I recently had one put in, but it hasn't rained yet. But the force of the water hitting the car would make this get worse over time, wouldn't it, like you may not notice a few drops at first?

Nah, I don't think so - that sounds like a bad windshield seal to me. Unless they ruined the deflector during replacement of the windshield