99 GT leaking oil [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 GT leaking oil

mjtr21
09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Well for the past month or so I noticed it was getting difficult to start the car. Also a few times the LOW OIL light was coming on. I though maybe its because I was overdue for a oil change. So I went and got the oil and filter changed then about a week later now, the LOW OIL light and oil pressure light are coming on. I stopped at a gas station last night and put a quart in. Got home and checked the level about 10 mins later and not to my surprise it was bone dry. Backed the car up and noticed there was a nice puddle underneath the center part of the engine. It shouldnt be the LIM or head gaskets because those were replaced about half year ago. But I didn't have the time to check this morning before I left. Anybody have any ideas as to what it could be? I've read to check where the oil pressure sending unit plugs in as this may be cracked and leaking the oil. If it ends up being major engine work I'm saying goodbye to the car. 5 intake gaskets and 1 head gasket is enough.

350rs
09-13-2010, 03:45 PM
my sending unit was leaking and caused a pretty good sized puddle if it sat long enough hot. But never was showing any lights or anything. Have a look at it. if its covered with oil.. replace it. Took me about 5 mins.

mjtr21
09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
OK I think that's what my problem is i started the car and looked underneath and there's a sensor plugged into the block located just above the starter, and when the engine is running the damn thing drips oil like crazy. Anybody have the procedure for changing that sending unit? Or is it just unscrew with a socket and change with a new one?

AaronGTR
09-13-2010, 04:24 PM
yeah, it's easy. Just unplug the wire harness, use a wrench or some channel locks to get it turning and unscrew it, put some teflon paste on a new one and screw it in.

350rs
09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
i happened to have a deepwell big enough for it. but anything that you can fit on it works. Teflon is deff a good idea. I think my BWD replacement had some kinda threat sealer on it already.. but never hurts to put a layer of teflon on it while your at it.

mjtr21
09-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Yup that's exactly what it was. The effin idiot at Monroe Muffler must've bumped it when he changed my oil last. Changed it up and no more leak! I think I love my car again.

350rs
09-13-2010, 07:16 PM
I would get ahold of them.. tell them what happened. MIGHT get lucky and they may at least reimburse your money for the part. Hard to prove however.

KhellendrosxS
09-15-2010, 04:46 AM
Id be more concerned at this point with any damage done to the motor by running it to the point of the low oil light and low pressure (less than 5PSI to turn this on) light coming on. If the oil is off the dipstick then there isnt much left in the pan for the pump to pick up and you may have starved the oil pump causing a lack of lubrication. In the future its probably safer to pay for a tow truck than to inadvertently destroy your motor trying to get home.