what goes wrong [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : what goes wrong

reborngarcia
09-15-2010, 08:05 AM
I have been working in new car dealerships for a few years now and every car has something that goes bad on it. But there are a few things that go wrong with all on them. Like I have seen that gm have had a bad time with the window regulators on the n body's. I would like to know what everyone thinks is something else that goes wrong on the rest on the car. ie blower motors, radios, dash lights, so on and so on.

DrFabulous
09-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Front rotors warping
LIM on 3400s
Water pump on 2.4s
Passlock interfering with starts
Blower motor resistor
Power window regulators/clips
Transmission is :meh:

reborngarcia
09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
i knew the window thing i am going to replace them all on mine slowly. already had to do the pass. front.

SuburbGT
09-17-2010, 12:02 AM
the reflectors in the door panels lol
mirror adjusting thing
broken camshafts
headlight adjusters :/

PhantomLover007
09-17-2010, 08:47 AM
the reflectors in the door panels lol
mirror adjusting thing
broken camshafts
headlight adjusters :/

Amen!! You can't even take off the door panels w/o breaking them. ;crap

notsoaveragej0e
09-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Are you talking in general, or specific to the Grand Am?

In general, it's near impossible for manufacturers to guarantee 100% of the parts in their cars. Why? Mainly because they do not MAKE every part on their cars; many systems are outsources to smaller manufacturers, such as Delphi, AC Delco, American Axle, etc. While GM (for this example) may have very tight tolerances on certain things, the companies they outsource to may not... unfortunately, those same companies may be the best (and many times, only) game in town, so GM wouldn't be left with too many options.

Many times it is the smaller systems, like you said, that fail- radios, regulators, brake rotors... stuff that GM/Ford/Chrysler/Toyota/Honda doesn't engineer and manufacture themselves. It is rare these days to see categorical failure on the engineering side, things like body mounts failing, doors falling off, airbags not deploying etc. because GM keeps that stuff in house.

PhantomLover007
09-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Can't forget the dash board separating..

Malaclypse
09-17-2010, 06:14 PM
3400:
Oil pan gaskets
Lower intake gaskets
Transmission problems

2.2, 2.4:
Ignition coils

GA in general:
Cat converters
Hub bearings
Wheel speed sensor wiring
Window regulators and sash clips
Radio backlighting
Warped front rotors: Could have been prevented by using thicker and larger rotors to more easily dissipate heat. I think base Cobalt rotors are the same size or larger.
Hazard switches.

I'm tapped for now... if you ask me for common problems on most GM models I could give you an extensive list... =p

Y2KGA
09-19-2010, 11:55 AM
multi function switch (random clicking noise)

K WeRd
09-19-2010, 01:06 PM
It is rare these days to see categorical failure on the engineering side, things like body mounts failing, doors falling off, airbags not deploying etc. because GM keeps that stuff in house.

My 02 didn't go off when I hit between the headlights. Pretty surprised/upset about that.