99 EGR Valve vs. 02 EGR Valve [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 EGR Valve vs. 02 EGR Valve

G.I.Ceo
09-17-2010, 10:06 PM
O.k here it goes. I have a 02 3.4l but I am looking at using intakes off a 99 grand am but I know the EGR's are different. What would I need to do to make the swap work? The reason I want the 99's intakes is because they are ported both upper and lower.

Mac0083
09-17-2010, 10:30 PM
trust me YOU DO NOT WANT THE 99 UIM, it's a ported p.o.s.
the LIM is ok though.

i just checked wot-tech website for the comparison pics of the '99 versus the 2000+ style and i guess Ben's removed them. but even then, the pics did no justice to how awful that obstruction was.

i would venture to say that a stock 2000 UIM outflows a ported polished '99 UIM

edit: also, i've been running with my EGR capped off, and doing just fine.
what's the point of having a COLD air intake if you have a tube siphoning hot as hell exhaust gases from your downpipe?

G.I.Ceo
09-17-2010, 10:48 PM
trust me YOU DO NOT WANT THE 99 UIM, it's a ported p.o.s.
the LIM is ok though.

i just checked wot-tech website for the comparison pics of the '99 versus the 2000+ style and i guess Ben's removed them. but even then, the pics did no justice to how awful that obstruction was.

i would venture to say that a stock 2000 UIM outflows a ported polished '99 UIM

edit: also, i've been running with my EGR capped off, and doing just fine.
what's the point of having a COLD air intake if you have a tube siphoning hot as hell exhaust gases from your downpipe?

When you did the delete did you have to retune your PCM?

AaronGTR
09-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Yes, you do not want to go backwards to the '99 parts. Stick with ported 2000+ parts.

As far as the EGR, I do not agree with deleting that on a daily driven car. It's there for a purpose and doesn't really hurt performance because it closes at high throttle positions. The intake manifold is also sitting right on top of a hot engine and is already hot, so the EGR gas isn't heating up the manifold any more than it already is. The only thing it does is dilute the air charge at low throttle which helps fuel mileage and emissions, but most importantly it controls combustion temps. You can get away running without it, but the PCM should be tuned to run without it in order to be optimal.

Vegeta
09-18-2010, 02:05 PM
http://wot-tech.com/shop/articles/choosing-3100/3400-manifolds/cat_64.html

Mac0083
09-18-2010, 02:12 PM
^ glad you've still got them upon your site. don't know why i didn't think about the articles button

G.I.Ceo
09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
That helped me out. I am glad to see that because I know now to stay away from those parts.