Rotor Help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Help

Thenimp
09-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Where Im at now is I just took off the pistons for the brake pads on the front of the car both sides, but I cant get the last two bolts off to get to the rotors. I figure its rust but I have one bolt thats close to stripping from trying to get it off and the other three just wont move. Any ideas on how to get these off? My brother-in-law thinks they may have to be weldded off, he is going to stop by later today but I just wanted to see what you guys think I should do.

Thank you.

AaronGTR
09-19-2010, 12:54 PM
lol well, you don't weld stuff off, you weld things on. Maybe you mean cut off with an acetylene torch? You might damage the hub doing that though. I assume you're talking about the two bolts that hold the caliper brackets to the hub. You'd be better off cutting it with a die grinder.

What should have been done from the beginning is spraying them with some penetrating oil and letting them soak for several hours. If that doesn't do it then usually heating the metal around them with a propane torch and using an impact gun will usually break them loose. Then if that doesn't work you can drill them out or cut the heads off with a grinder as a last resort and knock them out with a hammer and a pin.

remiljr
09-19-2010, 03:34 PM
x2, heat em up untill there red hot and give it a try

Thenimp
09-20-2010, 08:11 PM
lol well, you don't weld stuff off, you weld things on. Maybe you mean cut off with an acetylene torch? You might damage the hub doing that though. I assume you're talking about the two bolts that hold the caliper brackets to the hub. You'd be better off cutting it with a die grinder.

What should have been done from the beginning is spraying them with some penetrating oil and letting them soak for several hours. If that doesn't do it then usually heating the metal around them with a propane torch and using an impact gun will usually break them loose. Then if that doesn't work you can drill them out or cut the heads off with a grinder as a last resort and knock them out with a hammer and a pin.

I didnt mean weld but my mind blank. And yes Iam talking about the bolts for the caliper brackets. I have used Liquid Wrench which helped me get all but one of the bolts off. The one I cant get off is the top one. The other top bolt I did get off was "cross-sectioned" ( is that the right term?) which my brother-in-law believes this one is too and thats the reason why Im having such a problem getting them off.But that one looks like Im going to have to cut off or something. I was plainning on get all new bolts since these are so bad anyway but Im having a problem with finding out what the actually bolt sizes are. Do any of you know by chance or know of where I can look it up? I have looked in a few different areas both on and offline but Im getting conflicting answers.

Thenimp
09-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Well anyway I couldnt get that one bolt off, so I just put the new pads on. Nothing really wrong with the rotor, just figured I would replace it since I was doing all of them. Everything else went great and I just test drove it and it brakes like a dream again! I will come back and heat it up and get it off but for now its fine. Thanks for the help guys!