Transmission Swap Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Swap Question

sean_2k5
09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
well i have a 99 Grand Am SE 2.4 with the stupid auto transmission in it. I want to put a Manual 5 speed in it that is just straight bolt in no custom mounts needed or custom cv's what transmission from what car should i look for and what shifting cables ,shifter, ect. would also straight bolt in. Thanks

AaronGTR
09-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Subframe was different so you'll need an entire subframe from a manual 2.4L grand am. You'll need the trans, which was the same one from J-bodies with the 2.4L. You'll need the clutch master cylinder, shift cables and shifter, pedals, center console, and a computer (or reprogram of yours) from the manual grand am as well.

Or you can go the easy route and sell yours and buy a 5spd grand am.

sean_2k5
09-20-2010, 06:23 PM
what would i be getting into if i kept the subframe o and every junk yard i call wants to sell me a tranny from a sunfire also when i blew my old motor they sold me the motor from a 1997 cavalier so would the crap from those be a direct fit cuz a grand am with a manual is rare where i live

PhantomLover007
09-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Search. There is a thread on it donne by Timka86... lol.

sean_2k5
09-20-2010, 06:39 PM
i found his 6 speed from the g6 thread but nothing else can u give a link please

AaronGTR
09-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Search. There is a thread on it donne by Timka86... lol.

He has a four banger. ;)

i found his 6 speed from the g6 thread but nothing else can u give a link please

That's for swapping in a manual for a V6 car.... not what you need.

If you used your stock subframe, you'd have to get some custom transmission mounts made at the minimum. Someone with a manual grand am could tell you what all the differences are better than I... all I know for sure is that the subframe was different to accommodate the manual trans.

sean_2k5
09-22-2010, 02:29 PM
ok well to make my life easier...

What is the name of the manua 5 speed transmission in a 2000 grand am ...

that is the one i will buy for my 99 and hope it will fit with out custom cv's and homemade transmission mounts

all i do know about it is that it is a getrag ... i think

AaronGTR
09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Getrag F23 5 speed. The one in the grand am was RPO code M86. You could also use the MG3 from later model Saturn Vues which had a .81 fifth gear ratio versus .69 in the M86.

sean_2k5
09-22-2010, 09:51 PM
thank you just what i needed

Lab Rat
09-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Find an Alero or 2001 GA manual in the JY. Hard to find but they are out there. I'm doing this from memory so bare with me.
You will need:
subframe, clutch pedal, shifter, ring for shifter bazel, shifter boot, shift cables, mounts, F23, flywheel, clutch master cylinder, right and left axle (half shaft), you also need plug ends for your VSS and back up light switch. EDIT, grab the PCM and VIN also.

I would consider new for:
clutch, pressure plate, and slave, and any bolts, gaskets, and fluids.

I probably forgot something but you really need to do a little research. Also the Haynes manual was invaluable to get this done. Follow the "to remove your auto tranny" and follow "replace your manual tranny". Good luck with this, I have a small write up on that other Grand Am site. (I am 2K SE over there). Might look there as well.