Airbags [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Airbags

rocketfast123
09-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Ok my car is down. I bounce off some polls and now the pass fender is damage and the wheel is pushed back a little. Now my car is very close to a write off. My thing is air bags. The shop says they are $1500. I founds these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380269802628&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

What other parts are needed to get the airbags back on line? And the seats belts are fine. I'm also glad these cars don't bust the windshield.

Malaclypse
09-20-2010, 11:03 PM
That's the major stuff. You're going to need whatever sensors caused the airbags to pop. Possibly a front end sensor or two. I don't think the seat belts have pretensioners.. but if they do you'll need those as well. From the sound of it they don't.

While I personally wouldn't use second hand airbags, they should work just fine.

rocketfast123
09-21-2010, 09:34 AM
With all these airbag videos on youtube i should be ok. I forgot and about the front in sensors. But they are saying it's a write off. Bump that. Time to hit the yard for a new fender and a lower control arm. I have not put it on a lift to see what else is damage suspension wise. The hit damage my windows regulator, and also took a clunk out of my rim. But it still holding air.

What could be damage if the wheel is push back about 2" or so.

Y2KGA
09-21-2010, 05:35 PM
According to the service manual, there are only three components needed, the two airbags and the control module. The control module contains the sensors that detect a collision. There are no "front sensors".

AaronGTR
09-21-2010, 06:00 PM
^Correct, there is no front end sensor. The module sits under the passenger seat and that is what detects a collision and activates the air bags. You need both air bags and the module. Make sure the part number for the module is compatible with your car though. They had several different part numbers over the years for grand ams and aleros. Might have to see if the parts counter at a dealership will cross reference the part number/vin with your cars part number/vin.

Also after you install them you will still have to take it to the dealership or another shop with a tech2 or equivalent. There is a code in the body control module that must be manually cleared to turn off the airbag light on the dash and reactivate the system. It won't turn off just by installing new parts. :thumbs:

remiljr
09-21-2010, 06:08 PM
id be a little wiery about installing airbags on my car for the first time. exp bags off ebay for 89$ when i was quoted 1500. imo id rather drive around without them then 89$ bags. i do assume there is some kind of safety that would prevent them from premature blowing but seems a little sketch to me. do something wrong and go over some railroad tracks and get slammed in the face. unless the module is what's so expensive?

Malaclypse
09-21-2010, 06:45 PM
According to the service manual, there are only three components needed, the two airbags and the control module. The control module contains the sensors that detect a collision. There are no "front sensors".

I stand corrected. I'm used to everything having a discriminating sensor nowadays.

Rocketfast: As far as other airbag parts, you may or may not need a new steering wheel coil. Sometimes the connector will melt during airbag deployment.

With the suspension damage, you're looking at possible damage to the lower control arm bushings, shock, inner and outer tie rods, axle boots, fender liners and body parts.

Y2KGA
09-21-2010, 06:47 PM
id be a little wiery about installing airbags on my car for the first time. exp bags off ebay for 89$ when i was quoted 1500. imo id rather drive around without them then 89$ bags. i do assume there is some kind of safety that would prevent them from premature blowing but seems a little sketch to me. do something wrong and go over some railroad tracks and get slammed in the face. unless the module is what's so expensive?

I am not that surprised that the airbags on ebay are that cheap. If you have a 10 year old car that had its airbags deployed, you will probably junk it since its taken heavy damage and isn't worth the time or money to fix.

Having said that, I would still make sure that the person I'm buying the airbags is reputable.

rocketfast123
09-21-2010, 08:02 PM

that's what they told me too. On gm parts direct the driver side is $606 they don't even have the price for the passenger side and the module is not listed. But i seen them even cheaper on ebay. But the link is just lucky for me it was pulled from a 2001. The module is the biggy. All it does it sends 12v to the bags. Funny thing you say that around rail road track because i really don't slow down unless it a big hill

To tell the truth i really don't care about the air bags, but i do need em to fix my steering wheel and dash. I should just be able to OHM out the air bags put a resister in and a new module. Leave the bags disconnected and have the BCM flashed.

Also after you install them you will still have to take it to the dealership or another shop with a tech2 or equivalent. There is a code in the body control module that must be manually cleared to turn off the airbag light on the dash and reactivate the system. It won't turn off just by installing new parts. :thumbs:

Saw this on gaoc when i was doing research.

I stand corrected. I'm used to everything having a discriminating sensor nowadays.

Rocketfast: As far as other airbag parts, you may or may not need a new steering wheel coil. Sometimes the connector will melt during airbag deployment.

With the suspension damage, you're looking at possible damage to the lower control arm bushings, shock, inner and outer tie rods, axle boots, fender liners and body parts.

My insurance will cover 75% but i don't know if they are going to use the 3,100 or 4,100. I have 115k on it. I bet if i put honda on it, it will be worth 10k. If they do junk it my friend is gonna sell me his 2001 v6 stang for $2500. I also saw 97 Park Avenue Ultra with 74k for 6,000. (Read my sig and you know how i feel about car dealers)

I dunno we will see tomorrow.

haha
Another another ideal of mine was to find an another grand am/alero, or j-body with a blow 2.4.

rocketfast123
09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Apart of me has just died a little. With the body shop using """aftermarket parts"""
Parts@$1,388.57
Body 9.0hrs @ $405.00
Paint 7.8Hrs @ $351.00
Paint Supplies 7.8 @ 234.00
Random 93.95

Total $2611.78

I need to put it on a lift so i can see if the frame is bent. The wheel is tilted out a little also. Maybe with luck my insure company will just cut me a check so i can take to where ever. I had her too long for this to happen ;crap