Gettting the transmission oil changed, could this help? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gettting the transmission oil changed, could this help?

GRAND-AM-SE
09-21-2010, 01:11 PM
my tranny, bumps/shutters when going from first to second gear, something during 2 to 3 if im going hard on the gas but its not to bad

car has 90k miles, idk if the previous owner got the oil changed or not, i dont think tho,

its way over due, should i get it cleaned and changed ( new filters too??) in hopes it will help the problem, or should i let it go as some say its to late and the old oils will help it from leaking and slipping??? is that true

please help guys

350rs
09-21-2010, 01:20 PM
a true flush will not hurt it. that is a common misconception. When i had mine done it was like 130 bucks or so. been a few years i forget honestly.

i had a strange thing happening with mine. When i pulled the engine out i noticed one of the connectors was kinda loose toward the front drivers side of the engine. i kinda messed with it a bit and managed to somehow make it a bit more tight. Havent had a hint of that come back yet. Look for that sensor or whatever it is and see if its loose. It faces forward of the car and is kinda a PITA to get to.

hahano404
09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
band aid over a bullet wound.

350rs
09-21-2010, 04:45 PM
most likely yes. if its never been changed and it has that many miles.. chances are the damage is done. it could of course still be perfectly fine. but chances are slim to none.

AaronGTR
09-21-2010, 05:05 PM
You are still within the mileage for a trans fluid change so you should be fine. I wouldn't have it flushed though. Just have them drop the pan and drain the old fluid and change the filter, then refill and top off.

It may help a little, but the problem is more than likely internal. Could be worn clutches. And also GM revised the shift pressure control valve in 2002. If yours has never been taken apart, then it's got the originally valve body in it still. To truly make it shift like new again you'd have to have it rebuilt with the updated valve body and new clutch plates.

350rs
09-21-2010, 05:45 PM
You are still within the mileage for a trans fluid change so you should be fine. I wouldn't have it flushed though. Just have them drop the pan and drain the old fluid and change the filter, then refill and top off.

Why not a flush? From what i understand its better to do that. Other than the material in the old fluid. Which can be added. Not sayin your wrong, just curious and my young mind is always eager for info about cars!! haha

WidbyJ
09-21-2010, 07:23 PM
IMHO - Flush should not be done to any auto trans the way most places do it. By forcing the fluids to go in the wrong direction (back-flushing) all the junk can be lifted from the filter and carried into the internals, often clogging valves and such. Doing it properly involves removing the pan and filter anyhow which is usually enough to 'revive' a trans.

Just changing the filter and replacing the lost oil will be good enough in most cases. Top off, to the proper level, with good quality fluid - your choice of brands.

350rs
09-21-2010, 08:19 PM
IMHO - Flush should not be done to any auto trans the way most places do it. By forcing the fluids to go in the wrong direction (back-flushing) all the junk can be lifted from the filter and carried into the internals, often clogging valves and such. Doing it properly involves removing the pan and filter anyhow which is usually enough to 'revive' a trans.

thats what i consider a flush. which is also what i had done. i assume thats why it was so expensive. i was able to have a look at my magnet inside the pan, it was nice and clean ( thankfully). Anywho, dont wanna hijack the tread. lol im out!

AaronGTR
09-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Flushing on old transmissions is just not a good idea. I had it done on my Grand Prix when I first bought it.... I was replacing the transmission a few months later because a bunch of crap had got into some seals and bearings and it ended up not wanting to shift or move forward/backward at all. Dropped the pan and it was full of pieces of parts. That flush cost me $3G's. :(

GRAND-AM-SE
09-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Flushing on old transmissions is just not a good idea. I had it done on my Grand Prix when I first bought it.... I was replacing the transmission a few months later because a bunch of crap had got into some seals and bearings and it ended up not wanting to shift or move forward/backward at all. Dropped the pan and it was full of pieces of parts. That flush cost me $3G's. :(

yeah man this if my biggest fear.

thanks for the support guys,

i probb wont get it flushed just get new oil put in ??

idk does anyone know what could be causing my trans to do this? and how long before it dies and i need a new

hahano404
09-23-2010, 07:17 AM
depends on driving habbits i went 120k before a rebuild. noticed the issues at 90k. drive it, youll know when its coming to its end.