Power steering is stiff [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power steering is stiff

03gagt
09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
The power steering in my 2003 grand am gt is pretty stiff, still works but it's not like it should be. The resevior has fluid in it, and keeps a constant fluid level in it. I'm stumped on what it could be.;crap

350rs
09-23-2010, 02:58 PM
check for it to be binding somewhere. If thats not it, could just be going out. Making any noises? How does the fluid look?

MIAaron
09-23-2010, 03:02 PM
My power steering got really stiff when the variable assist valve on the power steering pump went out.

350rs
09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
is just that piece replaceable? Or does it require replacing the whole pump assembly?

whiteGT99
09-23-2010, 04:11 PM
does it whine when you turn at all?
if so your pump is going bad, i replaced mine and kinda sucks to get to, i had to take out the cruise control module and take off the motor mount on that side just to be able to pull the thing out of there.

and if you replace the pump, might as well get one with a resvouir and replace all of it

rocketfast123
09-23-2010, 06:10 PM
did they even have variable assist in 03?

MIAaron
09-24-2010, 08:57 AM
I know they had the valve seperate, but I changed both. The car had 160k miles on it and the valve alone was almost as much as the pump/valve combo. Finding a pump with the valve on it was a challenge though. The supplier mislabled a bunch of the boxes, so I had to look through about 60 pumps before I found one with the valve.

I don't know what got decontented on the grand am over the years.

03gagt
09-24-2010, 01:41 PM
does it whine when you turn at all?
if so your pump is going bad, i replaced mine and kinda sucks to get to, i had to take out the cruise control module and take off the motor mount on that side just to be able to pull the thing out of there.

and if you replace the pump, might as well get one with a resvouir and replace all of it

Nope no whine when I turn it, just more stiff than its suppost to be. Fluid looks ok.