2000 Grand Am SE [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Grand Am SE

4cstr
09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Hey guys,

I have tried searching your forums for the answer, but just can't find what I am looking for.

We just bought a 2k GA SE with the V6 motor. The Odom has 90k miles on it. I am super anal about any used car that I buy, in that it gets a full fluid (oil, brake, tranny, differential) change so that I know when it was done.

This car has that stupid sealed tranny. I'm comfortable dropping the pan and changing the filter (done than numerous times with my other vehicles) but where in the hell do I find the port to put the fluid back in? I searched for a picture but just couldn't find it.

I really don't want to take the car to the local GM dealer. I just prefer to do the work myself.

Thanks

Jer23
09-27-2010, 02:25 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Until a couple of weeks ago I put my cold air intake on and when I removed the stock air box base, There was a red cap for the trans fill. I dont remember but I dont think you can get at it without removing the base.

Hope that helps you.

Jer

mr03SCT
09-27-2010, 04:20 PM
To fill up with fluid you will have to remove the air filter housing to get to the red cap.

The check level plug is a little bolt (11mm) on the side of the transmission just above where the oil pan bolt is. It faces the passenger side wheel.

To check the level of the fluid you have to do the following:

1) Make sure the car is level. On hoist it's easy. What I do is raise the back of the car a little and put jack stands. I then raise the front of the car with a floor jack until the car is level. I make sure it is level using a 'level' under the transmission pan and/or the rails underneath the doors.

2) Start the car and run the shift throuhg PRDND1D2D3 and back again to P. Let it run for about 3-5 minutes when cold to get the fluid warmed up enough.

3) With the car running remove the check level plug.

4a) If nothing comes out you need to fill it up a bit by adding 1/2 liter at a time until just a dribble comes out.

4b) If fluid comes out then let it pour out until it reaches the bottom of the hole and only begins to dribble out. This is the correct level.

5) Put plug back in and tighten to i think it was 10NM or about 8-10ft/lb.

6) Put car back on ground.

AaronGTR
09-27-2010, 05:20 PM
^That pretty much covers everything you need to do. Only thing is, the transmission is actually supposed to be operating temperature, or at least 180 degrees. That means it will take more than 3-5 minutes. ;) Since the trans cooler lines go through the radiator core and which helps warm up the trans faster, you can use coolant temp as sort of a gauge. The trans heats up a little slower though, so let the engine run until it's about 200 on the coolant gauge then wait another 3-5 minutes after that.

4cstr
09-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks bunches.

Next stupid question...if I take down the pan to do the change...just how much fluid goes back in? Also...what type? I'm just assuming its the standard dextron/mercon stuff. I like Mobil1 synth...it goes in everything else that I have.

AaronGTR
09-28-2010, 06:39 PM
You'll need about 7 quarts for a pan removal, 9.5 for a complete overhaul. Full synthetics aren't recommended for this transmission, as they are actually too slippery. Stick with the regular dexron IV, or if you want the best and are willing to pay for it get the new dexron VI.

G.I.Ceo
09-28-2010, 06:55 PM
So the tranny fluid when warm is suppose to touch the top of the hole. I filled it up real high once and started having shifting problems. I drained it some and it was back to normal.

4cstr
09-29-2010, 09:26 AM
You'll need about 7 quarts for a pan removal, 9.5 for a complete overhaul. Full synthetics aren't recommended for this transmission, as they are actually too slippery. Stick with the regular dexron IV, or if you want the best and are willing to pay for it get the new dexron VI.

Thank-you. Gonna tackle this job this weekend.