Autometer vs. Sunpro [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Autometer vs. Sunpro

G.I.Ceo
09-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Well I am going to buy gauges this week since a deal I had with someone fell through.
So before I drop like close to $150 on gauges I figured i would ask this first. What is the major difference's between the Sunpro and Autometer gauges beside's price.
I know it's probably you get what you pay for but I was just curious.
Also I have the ability to get my hands on 2 Aeroforce gauges for $180 and was thinking of going that route too.

G.I.Ceo
09-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Also the Aeroforce gauges come with the pillar pod too and all wired up.

350rs
09-28-2010, 08:40 AM
accuracy, dependability, and quality all suffer a lot with those sunpro gauges. I have them in my 68. Replaced them a few times already. All mechanical, nothing electronic about them. On the other hand.. i have autometer phantom gauges in the Camaro ( cheaper of the autometer line) and those things are great. Very easy to read in day or night, and never once gave me trouble. Even very easy to install.

AaronGTR
09-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Can't go wrong with autometer. It sucks that some of their nicer looking gauges are a bit pricey, but even their basic stuff looks pretty decent and they all are very dependable.

G.I.Ceo
09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Can't go wrong with autometer. It sucks that some of their nicer looking gauges are a bit pricey, but even their basic stuff looks pretty decent and they all are very dependable.

I kind of figured that Autometer would be the way to go.
Now the question is I have the ability to buy two older Aeroforce gauges for a really good price that connect's right into the PCM and read the parameters.
So should I buy the older Aeroforce gauges or brand new Automter gauges?
I need three Autometer gauges.
The Aeroforce gauges don't have the ability I don't think to hook them up to sending units either.

remiljr
09-28-2010, 08:47 PM
why would you need 2 aeroforce gauges....i have autometer and they are great.. only had a sunpro volt gauge and with my audio setup it was absolute junk. too much swing! i actually just used the surround and gutted the center parts to fit a digital volt gauge i picked up at a local car audio spot. its about all it was good for.

AaronGTR
09-29-2010, 04:00 PM
It depends on what you are trying to read. The aeroforce gauges are great if you just want to see any of the parameters from the engine sensors that the PCM reads. If it's anything that the engine doesn't have a sensor for, then you'll need a separate gauge. For example, the engine doesn't have oil pressure, oil temp, or transmission temp sensors from the factory.

remiljr
09-29-2010, 05:01 PM
It depends on what you are trying to read. The aeroforce gauges are great if you just want to see any of the parameters from the engine sensors that the PCM reads. If it's anything that the engine doesn't have a sensor for, then you'll need a separate gauge. For example, the engine doesn't have oil pressure, oil temp, or transmission temp sensors from the factory.

Im assuming the last time you used thw word engine in that quote you meant pcm?

G.I.Ceo
09-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Yeah I am trying to use oil pressure, trans temp, and voltage is the three I was looking for.
I just figured the Aeroforce would give you the most bang for your buck.
So for what I am looking for then I should just stick with the Autometer then?

mfuller
09-29-2010, 07:38 PM
For example, the engine doesn't have oil pressure, oil temp, or transmission temp sensors from the factory.
Are you sure?
Oil pressure and oil temperature I agree on, but my Aeroforce reads transmission temperature.

AaronGTR
09-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Im assuming the last time you used thw word engine in that quote you meant pcm?

No, I'm pretty sure I meant engine. I guess I could have said engine and transmission... those are where the sensors are. The PCM doesn't have sensors and it can't receive signals from what aren't there.

Are you sure?
Oil pressure and oil temperature I agree on, but my Aeroforce reads transmission temperature.

Pretty sure. I've never seen anything about a tranny temp sensor in my manual and it's not on the list in my powertuner. I'll have to look into it.

geldartb
09-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Pretty sure. I've never seen anything about a tranny temp sensor in my manual and it's not on the list in my powertuner. I'll have to look into it.

Uvscan has the option to log transmission fluid temp because i log it so i can go back see how the trans is doing temp wise VS the driving at the time.

As long as you have DHP use Uvscan to log it's way better than the DHP scanner..

Are you sure?

probably an internal sensor to control shifting or lockup depending on fluid temp.

slw240sx
09-30-2010, 09:34 AM
get autometer they are reliable and fairly accurate, i would not waste your money on the following: gloshift, sunpro,prosport, stri or any other less then 30$ a gauge electrics.
i used to hate autometer and bought all HKS and greddy gauges, but when you start putting down 130-200 a gauge only to have them stolen or break its not worth it at all. for 50-60 bucks a gauge you can get a clean looking reliable gauges.

AaronGTR
09-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Uvscan has the option to log transmission fluid temp because i log it so i can go back see how the trans is doing temp wise VS the driving at the time.

As long as you have DHP use Uvscan to log it's way better than the DHP scanner..

I disagree. I've tried UVscan and didn't like it. I like the way the DHP scanner works better and the font is much easier to read. I've never had any problem the the DHP scanner so I see no need to use anything else.

get autometer they are reliable and fairly accurate, i would not waste your money on the following: gloshift, sunpro,prosport, stri or any other less then 30$ a gauge electrics.
i used to hate autometer and bought all HKS and greddy gauges, but when you start putting down 130-200 a gauge only to have them stolen or break its not worth it at all. for 50-60 bucks a gauge you can get a clean looking reliable gauges.

Totally agree. Although I do kinda wish I had the backlit autometer gauges or something similar (since they look nicer), they also cost more. My autometer sport comp gauges still look ok, and they've been working for years with no problems what so ever. They do what I need them to do, which is provide information and stay working! :)

slw240sx
09-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Totally agree. Although I do kinda wish I had the backlit autometer gauges or something similar (since they look nicer), they also cost more. My autometer sport comp gauges still look ok, and they've been working for years with no problems what so ever. They do what I need them to do, which is provide information and stay working! :)[/QUOTE]

there is a place online that sells LED replacement bulbs for them, it makes and amazing difference in the light output on the gauges. ill try to find the site name.

Jon

AaronGTR
09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah, they are just a standard 168/194 bulb and I've got a few LED type bulbs of that kind for other places, so I've thought about trying those in the gauges too. Just gotta find some good ones in red (kinda rare color, but that matches the instrumentation).

G.I.Ceo
09-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Well just to let you guys know I did buy 2 aeroforce gauges to see how I like them. Let's see how it goes. Well if I don't like them then I will put them up for sale and buy 3 z-series Autometer gauges.

slw240sx
10-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Yeah, they are just a standard 168/194 bulb and I've got a few LED type bulbs of that kind for other places, so I've thought about trying those in the gauges too. Just gotta find some good ones in red (kinda rare color, but that matches the instrumentation).

ill dig around in my cabinet, i think i have a hand full of red leds still. we bought a ton last year to modify gauge clusters.