HID lights - How they wrk [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HID lights - How they wrk

1HOT SE
10-02-2010, 04:48 AM
I am looking for a set of Halo black housing lights. The Halos a MUST BE WHITE in color not bluish and side lights white or amber. Must be DOT SAE stamped on unit itself.
PLs reply PM / send me links

1) Need Help: I don't know much about HID's, and I have been reading many many post on these, but there is too much info and is confusing. I alreadly have DRL's disabled > pulled fuse in engine bay box. I also know you have to attach ballast units to inside of fenders. I currently have the Black housing w/ clear corners and know about stock units and light displacement.
I know there is our stock bulbs that provide Low + high beam.
I've heard of some HID kits having low beam only and no high. Need both for leagity issues. OR usually HID for low and normal light for high. How does that work? is there room for 2 bulbs?
Don;t know about Bulbs H1...ect and the different types of bulbs. I see thast they are slim in design, and believe they are to accomedate the stock hole for headlights I'm guessing the plugs for HID's have 2 plugs 1-high 1-low that will fit in the stock socket.
Xeon bulbs or kits and Bi-xenon kits- heard high beam bulbs, temp it too high and will melt headlights. How can you use HID H1 bulb in conjunction with stock light for High beam as some people use?
I need basic explanation on these

2) Wht about halo Projector units that come with HID...too expensive?

3) is there a big Difference between Ebay cheapos vs online stores. Are the Ebay lights any good?

4) Is there a big difference between the HAlos for Ebay regular halos VS CCFL Halos?...these look brighter, and the sellers page said they are better and brighter. These are more expensive also

AaronGTR
10-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Well, I can't answer all your questions but I can help with a few.

I haven't heard of people using xenon bulbs for low beams and keeping stock halogens for high beams. Don't think that is possible since they have to fit in the same reflector housing. Stock bulbs have three contacts on back. Power for low beam filament, power for high beam, and a ground. When you turn on the high beams it turns on both filaments for double light out put. However xenon bulbs are gas filled with no metal filament like halogen bulbs, and they need a ballast for each bulb. To have high and low you have to have four seperate bulbs and ballasts, which is much more expensive. Some kits have a hi/low with a single bulb that moves when you activate the high beams. They do NOT work well, I've tried them myself. The light pattern in stock housings is so bad you basically can't see anything with the hi beams on.

As far as projectors, no one makes a projector for the grand am that comes with HID's or that was designed for them. They are all designed for halogen bulbs. Some people have retrofit HID's into them, but the light pattern isn't correct. The only way to do it properly is to custom fit projectors from a car with factory HID's into your housings. As far as being DOT SAE approved... good luck with that. None of them are. All this stuff is made in china and all say "for off road use only", which is just how they cover their own ass legally. They aren't willing to pay the cost to get them approved. If you are smart about what style of lights you buy though and what color bulbs you use, you won't have a problem in most states.

1HOT SE
10-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks very much. That was informative...anyone else w/ more info

DrFabulous
10-04-2010, 08:21 AM
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

Honestly, its better that you spend some time reading there. You should be able to find all the information you will need to know, and then some.

Also, HIDs are very much pay-to-play. You can't just go slap some cheap bulbs and ballasts off ebay into stock housings and rock out. To do it properly requires a lot of knowledge and custom fabrication.

ryanbgb22
10-04-2010, 09:40 AM
-On a grand am its kind of a pain in the ass. I had strobing problems until I made my own relay harness.
-I did have a kit with halogen highs and HID lows before, the high beams were absolutly useless. Both bulbs go into the housing in the same spot and are attached together. However, do not consider putting HIDs into the stock houseing, or even black housings; I've been there done that. The light output is terrible and you're producing crazy glare for others.
-You have to disable DRL's, or you're probably going to burn out your ballasts with the low voltage.
-In my opinion all China HID kits on ebay or in stores are of similar quality. I don't see any reason to really pay more at one place versus another. I have had the same china kit for about 4 years now and it's still going strong. Optimal case would be to use OEM vehicle ballasts and bulbs.
-In my car I retrofitted G35 projectors into my housings, and this is personally the only way I will ever run HIDS again. However the hid cutoff with those cheap projector headlights on ebay doenst hook horrendous, so they might be ok.

alocaurd
10-14-2010, 03:17 PM
i have ccfl angel eye projector headlights from ebay, with some china HIDs in them, and for my purposes, theyre great. the angel eyes have a SLIGHT blue tinge to them that fades as they get warmer to a white. the headlights seperate highs and lows to 2 seperate bulbs with all adapters needed, so i have a set of bulbs and ballasts for highs, and a set of bulbs and ballasts for lows. i did have to make my own relays for the HIDs as well because the standard output is too low, but you can also purchase those. i just chose to make it myself.