washer pump replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : washer pump replacement

Y2KGA
10-03-2010, 12:11 PM
So I'm pretty sure my washer pump is leaking.

Has anyone sucessfully changed the pump without removing the bottle from the car? The service manual says to just remove the pump with a "small flat bladed tool" but the area is extremely cramped and it doesn't look possible.

Y2KGA
10-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Nevermind, I tried it again and its easy to remove the washer pump without removing the bottle. Its a cramped area but its does work. You must first pull out on the pump at a 90 degree angle by holding the electrical connector (unplug the wires first). This will unsnap it from the bottle. You then have to pull up the pump and it will wiggle free. Jacking the car up a few inches makes it easier to do.

The pump ended up not being the source of my leak. The way the washer hose is routed it comes into contact with the frame at the area in front of the battery. The constant rubbing against the frame caused a pin hole to develop in the area. I patched it up and it seems to be holding now.

AaronGTR
10-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Yeah, that happens sometimes. Good way to protect against it is get some plastic wire loom like they use for the wiring harness and put that around the tubing in any spots where it might rub, and that will protect it. :thumbs: