Does this have coolant running in it? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Does this have coolant running in it?

Maetra
10-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Ok. i can't find exactly where its leaking coolant.. replaced every hose.. LIM gaskets, Head gaskets, water pump, thermostat, the works.

These are 2 pictures of the only thing left i can think of.. Water pump housing/where the belt goes. Highlighted in BLUE

Is there coolant running through that whole side? Can you buy a replacement gasket if there is? Has anyone else run into this? Can it be removed somewhat easily.

I have my car down to the head right now.. I see the tops of the pistons and all. So im waiting to put it back together before I get an answer.

Let me know when you can.. thanks!!!

3400 series engine, 1999 GrandAMGT

Maetra
10-05-2010, 10:58 AM
nobody has ideas?

Malaclypse
10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
That's your timing cover. Yes coolant flows through it and yes there's a gasket for it.

Have you thought about a heater core leak, though? Also did you replace the o-rings on the heater pipes? There's one that goes into the top of the timing cover near the water pump and one that goes in to the back of the thermostat housing.

It could also be a cracked radiator or a cracked transmission cooler inside of the radiator. That'd cause you lots of trans problems though.

remiljr
10-05-2010, 02:59 PM
if it was heater core you would have nasty coolant film on ur front window. cuz i know 10 mins away from me ur using ur heat/ defrost..lol.....above poster is spot on for whats left..imo. i would have just cleaned the hell out of everything coolant related with brake parts cleaner then it would stand out where leak was coming from before a tear down like that! but hey. real easy to mod while its apart!!!!!!

Maetra
10-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Thank you very much for the advice!!

I never knew there were o-rings on pipes before.. im guessing they are solid pipes.. not rubber ones.. basically since I've replaced all the rubber ones everywhere already. Ill look into picture and try to find them eactly.

The liquid is mainly coming from the passenger side of the engine bay... all parts over there are pretty much covered in liquid when it leaks.. I've seen it coming out of places before but when I repair the part... it leaks from another.. thinkin there miight be a clog too.

Thanks.. anymore ideas would be wonderful

remiljr
10-05-2010, 06:14 PM
advise = brick wall and 250$ deductable...lol j/k

Malaclypse
10-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Thank you very much for the advice!!

I never knew there were o-rings on pipes before.. im guessing they are solid pipes.. not rubber ones.. basically since I've replaced all the rubber ones everywhere already. Ill look into picture and try to find them eactly.

The liquid is mainly coming from the passenger side of the engine bay... all parts over there are pretty much covered in liquid when it leaks.. I've seen it coming out of places before but when I repair the part... it leaks from another.. thinkin there miight be a clog too.

Thanks.. anymore ideas would be wonderful

Are you sure it isn't just boiling out of the resevoir due to an air pocket in the system or a failed surge tank cap? GAs are baaad about getting them bled properly.

Also, was the coolant being slung all over the underside of the hood or was it just flowing down?