Stereo problems will I pay or again or not [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Stereo problems will I pay or again or not

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Not sure what my extended warranty good til 2012, says in detail if anything about stereo deck problems. Now this is not a GA but a 2007 GP.

A month or less ago we took it in for a problem we had with right part of display not being lit up any more. My deductible is $100.

I waited a year give or take til we had something more serious go wrong with car before getting stereo problem taken care of. Thus only needing to pay the deductible once for both types of car repairs.

About 2 weeks give or take wife notice clock was loosing time. At this point about 10 minutes in a week give or take. for a couple more weeks we have just been keeping an eye on it and resetting it .

Call GM today this time Service Consultant same guy I have used for years tells me sounds like better or need to replace the whole deck, and then next he is not sure YET if I will need to pay another $100 deductible.

They have and still use Altantic Car Stereo company down the way to do all there stereo repairs and installs etc.

I ask Ken repair guy if the clock light and clock controls etc where in the same place close to each other. Then if by chance something MIGHT have happened top cause the new clock problem.
Sounds like he said to repair light problem you do not touch clock parts ????

My guess here is I won't have to pay another $100.
OR
They will say we won't charge you for another repair but no replacement deck.
OR
Repair or replacement is another $100.

PS; When i met the stereo repair guy Ken the first time for first problem with deck, first thing he asked was when did my warranty run out. Not did I have warranty. And he very likely did NOT know I pay $100 deductible with my extending warranty or like could care less.

Because I trust no one til they build trust with me ( aspecially ) the auto industry. Do you think repair guy ask the way he did , thinking GOOD I can get this guy < ( my money ) or GM 's money a few more times before my warranty runs out , or til GM finally says put new deck in.

After all most peolpe with cars and when there factory stereo goes and no warranty then we buy aftermarket. So maybe car stereo place milks GM's / customers warranty as much as they can ???

Any chance stereo repair guy fooled with clock so he would get repeat business. SAD TO SAY AND THINK. BUT SEE HEARD AND KNOW OF WORSE in the Auto industry.

What's your guy's knowledgeable experience in this field in particular stereo area ??

Y2KGA
10-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Is is possible the car battery is going bad? Maybe one of the power wires to the radio wasn't plugged in correctly during installation?

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-13-2010, 07:27 PM
NO problems at all with battery or charge or cars starting etc. Stereo repair guy asked me same 2 questions. If it turns out to be a not properly connected wire , happened during first repair of the light in display. You think stereo repair guy would admit it . Because then he gets no more or new repair money from Gm under warranty work. And it would be at car stereo repairs cost if there was a cost for them to fix there fix. I don't have that much faith in people til earned.

Malaclypse
10-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Its not usually a wiring problem. I've seen complaints of GM radios losing time as you're describing. The solution is usually a replacement radio to be installed.

About your warranty. If the radio was replaced recently you may be able to make a stink about having to pay another deductible and get the dealership to cover that. Its not 100% guaranteed but there's only one way to find out.

I don't think the radio repair guy you were talking to jacked with your clock. Its not in his best interest to screw around with a customer.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-13-2010, 08:01 PM
No radio was never replaced. last repair which was the first problem with the stereo system was a repair to the light that lights up that right side of the display you see in the photo. haft the display stopped being lit up . Were they suposed to / have to replace it the first time under my well loaded extend warranty.

Malaclypse
10-14-2010, 06:24 PM
No radio was never replaced. last repair which was the first problem with the stereo system was a repair to the light that lights up that right side of the display you see in the photo. haft the display stopped being lit up . Were they suposed to / have to replace it the first time under my well loaded extend warranty.

Whenever I've replaced a radio its been to remove the defective one and install a remanufactured unit. We never disassemble radios.

With your extended warranty it may be different... Was the work done at a dealership? Also I've never heard of Altantic Car Stereo or whatever it was. There are many remanufacturers for GM radios and clusters across the country.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
10-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Altantic is just who this GM ans other types of dealers use to do the repairs and or installs of FACTORY ORIGINAL brand new equipment stereo's. I think Gm orders the stereo's in and cars go ver to altantic for work.