Hub Bearings Temporary fix ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hub Bearings Temporary fix ?

Outlaw78a
10-15-2010, 03:13 PM
is there a temporary fix,can we spray some liquid wrench,pb blastrer,or any other lubricant to lessen the Hum of a bad bearing ?

the noise usually came and went,but its come,and not left as of now.
i swapped the right bearing already (for a timken),but time and money for a
swapp of my left one are low as of now.

juanvan
10-15-2010, 03:25 PM
You can wait till it fails and it cost you more money - that is the only fix.
The bearings are sealed you can't get anything in there to help them.

oldschoolguy
10-15-2010, 03:27 PM
wait till it jams and throws you off the road. It'll be easier to get at, because the whole body will be destroyed. A bad bearing will eventually seize. Put out the 150 now and replace only the bearing

Outlaw78a
10-15-2010, 04:24 PM
i doubt itd get that bad,my first car was a ga Se the bearing was shot and made any small talk incomprehendable,music had to be jacked up to get past the grinding.almost a whole year,then i sold it.last i heard its still riding on that bearing

oldschoolguy
10-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Oh, I know that. I was just trying to scare you into doing a smart thing

plastic_indian
10-15-2010, 07:55 PM
i doubt itd get that bad,my first car was a ga Se the bearing was shot and made any small talk incomprehendable,music had to be jacked up to get past the grinding.almost a whole year,then i sold it.last i heard its still riding on that bearing

"God favors drunks, small children, and the cataclysmically stoned."
--Stephen King, from 'It'

Apparently we can add irresponsible Texans to His list...

Malaclypse
10-16-2010, 02:01 PM

I have seen several wheel bearings get bad enough that the only thing ... ONLY THING .. holding the wheel on is the brake rotor/caliper and a few chunks of chewed to **** bearing.

Get the damn thing fixed before you kill an innocent bystander.

Edit: Crossed 1,000 posts... =p

Outlaw78a
10-21-2010, 11:38 PM
I have seen several wheel bearings get bad enough that the only thing ... ONLY THING .. holding the wheel on is the brake rotor/caliper and a few chunks of chewed to **** bearing.

Get the damn thing fixed before you kill an innocent bystander.

Edit: Crossed 1,000 posts... =p

you quoted me on the SE,wich i sold.
ive changed my right one already,the left one ill do in the
next few weeks

slw240sx
10-22-2010, 10:49 AM
those will actually wash out the heavier greases that are what keep the bearing from eating itself completely. get it fixed a new bearing is what 50-100 bucks? find a local non chain shop to fix it for 100 bucks. try calling some smaller performance shops, ones that might be struggling bad in this economy and will do this kind of job for peanuts just to get paid some cash!

Outlaw78a
10-22-2010, 05:08 PM
those will actually wash out the heavier greases that are what keep the bearing from eating itself completely. get it fixed a new bearing is what 50-100 bucks? find a local non chain shop to fix it for 100 bucks. try calling some smaller performance shops, ones that might be struggling bad in this economy and will do this kind of job for peanuts just to get paid some cash!

i tried that with an engine swap,didn't work out well.
ill go for the small shop with ASE certification or an equivalent .
as for the Hub Bearings, i have the tools and knowledge to that myself,
courtesy of the gaownersclub,
but ya that totally slipped my mind.
the hub bearings use an oil type grease,and a petroleum based lube will
eat that away and cause faster wear and tear

silverbulletO5
11-05-2010, 09:58 PM
buy a cheap one off Ebay to get you by then when you get cash you can replace it with a timken or go to Autozone and buy a Duralast hub for $80 and be done with it.