Heater troubles. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Heater troubles.

young gun
11-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't get any heat coming from the vents until the temp goes over 200 to about 230. then once the gauge starts to go down i get heat. goes down to about 180 for a little then i lose it and it goes back up again til 230 then goes down to 180.

manofmany
11-03-2010, 06:13 PM
You've got air in the system. Have you tried bleeding it?

young gun
11-03-2010, 06:30 PM
nope. and i wouldn't know where to start either :P where do i?

manofmany
11-03-2010, 06:43 PM
First off, make sure you're coolant is full. With the engine cold, it should be at the FULL COLD line on the resevoir.

There's a black tube on the front of the engine with a double brass bolt. With the engine off and cool, put a wrench on the bottom and top one, and open the top bolt a few turns. Pour coolant in the reservoir slowly until pure coolant comes out of that bolt, then stop pouring coolant and close the bolt. The engine is now bled, but you can do it again after driving if you really want to.

If your coolant is already full, run the engine until it warms up and shut it off. Take a 10mm wrench and hold the bottom nut and a wrench or socket to the top valve and loosen it slightly until you hear air come out. Let it remain open until pure fluid comes out. It should be bled.

It's really VERY simple.

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/1106/bleedervalve.jpg

young gun
11-05-2010, 08:34 PM
so i did it once when it was hot and it did release some air but didn't fix the heat. got back from grabbing dinner and tried it again only when closing the top bolt i broke it off. is that bad? lol

young gun
11-06-2010, 11:40 PM
i can tell you breaking off the top bolt didn't fix my problem. any insight would be great at this point because its freezing out.

young gun
11-07-2010, 01:47 PM
should i be replacing the black piping that i broke the top bolt off?