Trobleshooting Code: P0440 Help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trobleshooting Code: P0440 Help

Charvel1975
11-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Hello I have a stock 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT Ram Air 3.4L coupe and recentely went to Auto Zone to have them pull a code because my check engine light has been on for quite some time now and I have to get my car e-checked and new tags before my birthday this month which is the 11th.

They did a print out of the code and this is what it said:

Definition: EVAP (evaporative emission system) small leak/no flow condition

Explanation: The evaporative emission system is monitored for it's ability to hold vacuum.

Probable cause:

1. Defective or loose fuel cap - I already replaced the fuel cap with a new one

2. EVAP canister or hose cracked - not connected

3. Purge or vent solenoid defective

4. Vacuum leak at engine - Dealership took care of this a while back

Any suggestions or help??

Lab Rat
11-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I had to replace the fuel filler tube to get mine fixed. It had a small rust hole in it. Since you live in the rust belt also I would think it could be that. The code is telling you the system is NOT holding vacuum. May not be the tube but a smoke test should find the leak. Better jump on this, you only have 7 more days.

Charvel1975
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I had to replace the fuel filler tube to get mine fixed. It had a small rust hole in it. Since you live in the rust belt also I would think it could be that. The code is telling you the system is NOT holding vacuum. May not be the tube but a smoke test should find the leak. Better jump on this, you only have 7 more days.

I had a smoke test done a while back and no leaks were detected. Yea just went thru some of my dealer service records and yea looks like they checked before and said fuel filler neck $270 to fix!!

Charvel1975
11-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I think I'm just gonna buy that CRC/12 oz. Guaranteed to Pass emissions test formula and complete fuel system cleaner. Hopefully that will work, anyone else use it with sucess?

AaronGTR
11-04-2010, 04:47 PM
That will not do anything to fix that code.

Y2KGA
11-04-2010, 09:19 PM
In Ohio do they put the car on the treadmill or use the cars computer (OBD)?

The OBD test first checks if the check engine light is on. If its on it fails. It then checks the readiness monitors. In NY the car is allowed to have 2 or 3 readiness monitors in the "not ready" state and still pass. Other states that use the OBD test probably have the same rules.

According to the service manual, the fuel level must be between 20 and 85% for the evap code to be set.

In theory you can get the code cleared, keep the fuel tank above 85%, drive the car until all the other obd tests are performed then get it inspected. Keeping it above 85% will keep the evap test from running (and failing). As long as all the other tests run,(and pass) you will pass.

Its a good idea to get a OBD scanner that checks how many readiness tests have been performed before bringing it for inspection.

There is no fuel additive that will fix this code. The code has nothing to do with tail pipe emissions. The only fix is to find the leak.