ABS/Parking brake LIGHT and some [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS/Parking brake LIGHT and some

Misiu22
11-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I finish work, get in my car, start it up and put it in gear, let go of the brake and BAM, ABS and Parking brake lights go on... and now when i reverse my Trac OFF light turns on. what could the problem be? also when driving down the expressway at about 120km/h my car vibrates a lot, I can actually see my hand vibrate on the steering wheel. it doesn't seem like its a tire rubbing but something else. what could it be?! lol

Thanks! Michael

Tonyyank
11-09-2010, 11:40 AM
a hub assembly ??

AaronGTR
11-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Those are all typically signs of a worn wheel bearing. The wheel speed sensor is part of that assembly and when it goes bad your ABS, trac off, etc lights will come on because those systems can't operate when the sensors aren't reading properly.

jack up each end of the car and push/pull the tire from the top and bottom. There should be very little play and no funny noises. If there is, then that is probably the bad one. If you are feeling it in the steering wheel it is likely one of the fronts. It is often a good idea to replace both bearings on the same end of the car at the same time. If one is going, the other is usually not far behind. It's also a good idea to get an alignment done after. :thumbs:

Rainbow1616
11-10-2010, 04:00 AM
Go to pep boys and get the codes read (its free) That will usually tell you which hub assy to replace.
Sometimes the sensor just goes bad so you won't feel a noticeable "wobble"
When mine went bad it was actually the opposite side then what I thought it was.

Misiu22
11-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Those are all typically signs of a worn wheel bearing. The wheel speed sensor is part of that assembly and when it goes bad your ABS, trac off, etc lights will come on because those systems can't operate when the sensors aren't reading properly.

jack up each end of the car and push/pull the tire from the top and bottom. There should be very little play and no funny noises. If there is, then that is probably the bad one. If you are feeling it in the steering wheel it is likely one of the fronts. It is often a good idea to replace both bearings on the same end of the car at the same time. If one is going, the other is usually not far behind. It's also a good idea to get an alignment done after. :thumbs:

okay, so let me see if i understand this, the ABS light, Parking brake Light are on because the wheel bearings are bad. the wheel speed sensor is part of the wheel bearing assembly. so all i need to buy is new wheel bearings? any sensors?... cause I have a buddy that checked out my car... i don't know if he checked the wheels but he came to the conclusion that the problem is the "ABS module".

[ChaosweaveR]
11-10-2010, 02:10 PM
okay, so let me see if i understand this, the ABS light, Parking brake Light are on because the wheel bearings are bad. the wheel speed sensor is part of the wheel bearing assembly. so all i need to buy is new wheel bearings? any sensors?... cause I have a buddy that checked out my car... i don't know if he checked the wheels but he came to the conclusion that the problem is the "ABS module".

I've gone through this issue prior, it IS the wheel assembly. Replace it.

Also, I recommend getting the Timken assemblies, high quality.

AaronGTR
11-10-2010, 03:53 PM

no, no other sensors... the wheel speed sensor is built into the wheel bearing/hub assembly.

I'm not saying that is it for sure. That is just the most common cause. It could also be something with the ABS system as well. ABS and brake lights can come on even from low fluid in the master cylinder. As suggested, get the codes read to be sure. That would be best... I have no idea if your buddy actually knows anything about cars so...

gearhead73
11-12-2010, 01:10 AM
i kno with my 02 GA GT ive replaced the front bearings once since i bought it 3 years ago. and just replaced the right one last year cause of a damaged sensor. although now i have the same problem on the right side again.

Misiu22
11-12-2010, 08:25 AM
no, no other sensors... the wheel speed sensor is built into the wheel bearing/hub assembly.

I'm not saying that is it for sure. That is just the most common cause. It could also be something with the ABS system as well. ABS and brake lights can come on even from low fluid in the master cylinder. As suggested, get the codes read to be sure. That would be best... I have no idea if your buddy actually knows anything about cars so...

my buddy(my dad's friend) is actually a backyard mechanic. he scanned the code and its only a vacuum leak code, no other codes.. he said he checked the hub assembly, sensors and their fine.. he also said he checked the pump, fluid, wiring and its all fine, so he said it could most likely be the ABS MODULE.

AaronGTR
11-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Uh, yeah.... did he only check the engine computer? The ABS module, wheel speed sensors, etc... all those are routed through the body control module and that's where the codes are stored. Most cheapo code scanners won't read those and most backyard mechanics don't have the more expensive scanners that do. ;)