Tie into horn & lights for gas door alarm. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tie into horn & lights for gas door alarm.

eBandit
11-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Anyone have a wire diagram so I can tie into the circuit that beeps the horn and flashes the lights when you hit the red button on the keyless remote on my 2000 GT?

Also will it stop beeping and flashing once voltage is taken off the circuit or will I just turn it off with the remote?

I want to put a magnetic open circuit mini reed switch at the gas door. It will be wired with an on/off switch so I can activate this circuit when I want to; and when the gas door is opened the reed switch will activate a 12volt relay that will in turn activate the horn and lights.

If I can tie into the system on the car that beeps the horn and lights I will need nothing else, if not I need a flasher circuit to beep/flash or I would just get a siren (not sure if I need anything other than the relay to drive a siren).

Thanks to anyone with ideas or help.

Mike Jung
11-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Wouldn't a locking gas cap from GM accessories catalog be easier ?

lol

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA1009/GAEXT/Locking+Gas+Cap.html

I have one on my former GA.

eBandit
11-13-2010, 06:39 PM
those are useless for one and I hope to be out the door while they are trying to get away. locking gas caps have to be easy to pry off the top due to accidents and laws i was told, anyway I know they are very easy to get open. for some they might be a deterant still. but locking gas cap picks are easy to get and popping the top off even easier. Some cars that have gas caps that have the lugs rather than fully threaded are easy to without anything, some locking one you can push or pull on the cap hard while rotating and the friction can take it off.

01GPGT
11-13-2010, 07:14 PM
they can also couse more damage to the car and cost more then just replacing a few gallons of gas

eBandit
11-13-2010, 07:24 PM
I had a hidden camera up, but it quit working months ago, I plan to buy a better dvr and about 4 cameras, but waiting cause I want good stuff this time.

I might get some sensors like driveway alert sensors to hide and put buzzers near my bed so i get alerted to anyone coming onto the property. There is only 1 house close to us rest are not all that close, I think I know who tried to get it, motion light or me randomly coming outside may have scared them, but next morning is when I seen my gas door open and cap hanging there.

goal is to catch them, I might temporarily set it up to a buried wire to alert me when open and not beep horn , but I still want the above setup ultimately.

How do they cause more damage?

juanvan
11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Sit up all night -
I guess missing gas a big problem for you there -

another thing you can do that Might be easier is cut the fill pipe and insert a honeycomb metal stopper so the gas passes but the hose they use get jammed.

JRYAN34
11-23-2010, 01:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Sensor-Door-Window-Entry-Burglar-Alarm-Bell-/350389969164?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5194dea10c

modify it to make it smaller - take off the plastic

JRYAN34
11-23-2010, 01:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq06b3gXYSE&playnext=1&list=PLED0739A4623A5971&index=14

Pauljp
11-23-2010, 01:51 PM
If you are not using your second key fob, put a normally open micro switch on your gas door and wire it up to the alarm button of the fob.
The car doesn't know the difference, it thinks you pushed the alarm button.
Simple.

eBandit
11-23-2010, 11:45 PM
If you are not using your second key fob, put a normally open micro switch on your gas door and wire it up to the alarm button of the fob.
The car doesn't know the difference, it thinks you pushed the alarm button.
Simple.

I have the micro switch, i thought about that, just need to order another fob, I bought this car lightly wrecked and fixed it, had no fob- I only bought 1 off ebay at the time and programmed it (think instructions to program came from here).

Thanks everyone for input, not sure that ebay alarm will be loud enough.

gas theft isnt a big issue here cause not many houses nearby, all but a couple houses around here have at least a few acres of land to 80 or more. but once is enough for me. I have a hunch now though that it was a family member trying to make me think someone was doing that so he could say he put gas back in any vehicle he borrowed and have an excuse why the gauge is lower than when he took it that morning. thats what it points to atm.

maybe i should hide a couple cameras, tell no one and see what i capture.