Rough Idle on 2.2L [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle on 2.2L

Stevo
11-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey everyone, so well i had a death in my family and had to drive to the funeral and put about 850 miles total on the new SE. well on my way back i started noticing my idle getting rough. What could be causing the rough idle?

Specs: 2005 GA SE, 2.2L 4 cylinder, 82K miles. Stock all the way
Recent oil and filter change

Thanks

[ChaosweaveR]
11-17-2010, 09:37 PM
For starters, is the SES light on?

When was the fuel filter last changed? Broken vacuum lines?

Stevo
11-17-2010, 09:41 PM
No lights, i dont believe it could be a vacumm line problem and as far as the fuel filter goes i couldnt tell you as i just bought the car so that could be the culprit.

01GPGT
11-17-2010, 09:41 PM
also by stock does that even meen the spark plugs and wires? most plugs used by GM only last about 50k miles

[ChaosweaveR]
11-17-2010, 09:42 PM
No lights, i dont believe it could be a vacumm line problem and as far as the fuel filter goes i couldnt tell you as i just bought the car so that could be the culprit.

Change the fuel filter, toss in a quality fuel injector clean (no cheap, no name bullsh!t) and check for a vacuum leak.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-17-2010, 09:43 PM
also by stock does that even meen the spark plugs and wires? most plugs used by GM only last about 50k miles

This is the L61 Tom. (Ecotec, 2.2L) No wires, just a coil pack over all four plugs.

Stevo
11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
yes its the ecotec, ill get on the filter asap but probably wont be till this weekend. and she was serviced when i bought the car, i.e. ive had her for a month. I threw in a fuel injector cleaner, think the brand was STP when i noticed the problem and still nothing

01GPGT
11-17-2010, 10:03 PM
;1142538']This is the L61 Tom. (Ecotec, 2.2L) No wires, just a coil pack over all four plugs.

i was thinking the quad 4 and older 2.2:doh:

well then one less thing to woury about:D

Stevo
11-17-2010, 10:13 PM
I previously owned a dodge that had a similiar engine (2.4L), dont know if the ecotec uses one of these but its called a pvc valve and once it got clogged it would make the engine idle rough till it was either replaced or cleaned. could that be a possibility?

01GPGT
11-17-2010, 10:58 PM
would not hert to replace it. pretty sure it does have one.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-18-2010, 07:14 AM
The L61 does NOT have a replaceable PCV valve. It's built into the valve cover and is not serviceable.

I'd recommend seafoaming on top of what else I suggested.

It's easy:

1) Take the main vacuum line off the brake booster

2) Have somebody inside the car, start up the motor. Pour 1/3rd of the can of seafoam into the line. Be mindful, the motor will want to stall while pouring seafoam in.

3) Once 1/3rds of the can is in, turn off the engine. Wait 10-15 minutes for the seamfoam to seep into the top end, and break up the built up carbon.

4) Start the motor up, and keep the RPMs between 2000-2500. Keep it there for about five minutes, you'll see while smoke pour out of the exhaust, and that's good. That means all the carbon deposits are being burnt away.

5) Last, go for a test drive to burn off the last of the seafoam.

Hope this helps.

Also! I can't believe I forgot, check the air filter.

Stevo
11-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Ok i called the dealership, they told me quote " the fuel filter is inside the tank, and we hardly ever hear about them having problems". Fuel filter inside the tank???
1. Im going to go check the air filter now and see how its doing
2. this weekend is thanksgiving break, ill do the steps listed by Chaos
3. They want me to bring the car in but its my DD and i dont have a spare ride so i dont know when that could happen
4.anything other than whats allready listed above? anybody else having the same problem?
5. Thanks for all the help guys

Stevo
11-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Update:
Checked Air Filter: Clean as a whistle
Played with the car alittle bit more to see if i could detect anything and noticed that
1. The idle only gets rough when in gear and worse with the ac on, Park and Neutral it runs perfect.
2. Noticed a somewhat abnormal vibration coming from the passenger side of the engine(towards the coolant etc) only thing i could see is the belts when in gear and ac on.
3. I popped open the radiator cap to check the coolant, there seems to be somekind of tiny black specs floating around in there, there arent alot of them but I was perplexed to what that could be.
4. I listened around to see if i could hear any type of air coming out of the hoses etc to see if i had a vacuum leak and came up with nothing and will seafoaming in any way hurt any sensor on my car?

Stevo
11-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Ok so dumb question but i just wanted to make sure, can anyone post a pic of the main vacuum line on their 2.2l? im about 95% sure i know where it is but i just bought this car and dont want to f*** it up

01GPGT
11-18-2010, 08:33 PM
;1142566']The L61 does NOT have a replaceable PCV valve. It's built into the valve cover and is not serviceable.

WTF stupd GM this is why i work on fordslol

Stevo
11-19-2010, 07:08 PM
ok update: completed the steps listed by chaos, and it worked. Idle has smoothed out, the seafoam didnt make my car smoke so i guess my engine was pretty clean but whatever it did helped it. Thanks everyone

[ChaosweaveR]
11-19-2010, 10:10 PM
ok update: completed the steps listed by chaos, and it worked. Idle has smoothed out, the seafoam didnt make my car smoke so i guess my engine was pretty clean but whatever it did helped it. Thanks everyone

Glad to hear. :)

Also, the fuel filter IS serviceable. It's in between the gas tank, and the rear suspension. The L61 and LD9 models use the same fuel pump as the LA1 models, so that dude at the dealership needs a bit of an update. ;)

Stevo
11-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Lol yeah i was thrown off when he said that, but thanks when i get the time ill go ahead and change that out anyways. Now i need to start working on my next project for this car. Thanks for all the help guys

Stevo
11-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Rough Idle is back again and worse, so im assuming i need to tackle that fuel filter sooner than expected. whats the best fuel filter to buy?