Need help! Dead battery symptoms! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Dead battery symptoms!

Jelley22
11-18-2010, 07:17 PM
ok guys this is my first post but I have come here many a time and you guys have helped me do a lot of maintanence to my car.
However I come to you now with a problem I can't even fathum

My car acts like it has a dead battery however I just replaced the alternator and battery within 6 months, when I crank the car no lights come on, sometimes my keyless entry wont even unlock the car (or lock it).

First thng I thought of was a dead battery, however when turn the key to the "ON" position and press the brake and shift the car to reverse or drive then back into park the lights will come on and the car starts up just fine.

I am beside myself, this is our only car and I really need to know what to do to keep it running.

Additional info: 2002 Grand Am GT 3.4L auto, 91k miles
this is my baby please help.

juanvan
11-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Sunroof or no sunroof?

customgagt94
11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
^ are u serious lol..

AaronGTR
11-23-2010, 03:38 PM
That's a very odd problem. Can't say I've ever heard of that one before. My first guess would a problem with the ignition switch. Other than that... it would be very hard to diagnose without being there in person to go over it with a manual, wiring diagram, and a multi-tester.

juanvan
11-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Very water runs down the a piller into the fuse box and knocks out the key fob. The starter hot lead is also in that box so knowing if he h as a sun roof would spear the problem

carbuff91
12-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Try cleaning the battery terminals. also take a knife and strip the rubber boots off of the terminals and check for corrosion. Grand am's act goofy as hell if there is even a small amount of crud on the cables.