New HG and reconditioned heads = White smoke and tapping [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New HG and reconditioned heads = White smoke and tapping

manofmany
11-23-2010, 06:42 PM
2001 3.4

Took the heads in and had a valve job done on them. The heads were also resurfaced and cleaned up. Got it all back together. Issues -

1.) Smoking like a freight train
2.) Loud tapping from front head
3.) Transmission banging into gears, especially D

WTF? I used the correct torque values and sequences. Could it be burning off excess coolant? Why would these new heads be making this noise and what could I have done to cause the transmission to start banging into gear? I'm about to lose my mind.

Only thing I see that I could have done wrong is a writeup said the long head bolts go towards the exhaust manifolds and the shorter bolts go towards the middle of the motor. I put the longer bolts towards the center, just as they came out. Not sure why this would matter anyways. Torque values and sequences were correct.

juanvan
11-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Everything matters when putting it together.

Do a compression check on each of the cylinders, see what your psi is at.
If you can do a leak down test too -

Its normal for the car to smoke when its first started after this job as you should be using oil on just about everything when putting it back together.

Are you sure you put the head gasket on the correct way? I mixed it up once on my prelude had to take the heads off again. Sucked but it runs great now.

Your gear shifting problem is a whole new can of worms, check your fluid for a start.

KhellendrosxS
11-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Also make sure your MAF sensor is plugged in and none of the wires are broken. This would lead to transmission banging.

01GPGT
11-24-2010, 05:59 PM
check for pinched wires going to the transmission as well

also how much was taken off the heads? beign aluminum they are less forgiving then cast iron. i tend to take a straight edge to them at try to see if any light passes though

manofmany
11-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the tips. I didn't get a good seal on the head gaskets, possibly due to dirty threads or the Victor Reinz bolts I used.

Picked up some fel-pro bolts, cleaned the holes throroughly and reinstalled everything with new gaskets. Runs like a champ. The transmission issue was due to a pinched wire on the IAT sensor. Tapping was a loose Rocker.

01GPGT
11-28-2010, 04:22 PM
glad you figured it out

Malaclypse
11-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Glad you caught the rocker before it pulled the threads out of the cylinder head. That happened to me the first time I did a head gasket.