car wont shift out of second? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car wont shift out of second?

gearhead73
11-23-2010, 05:45 PM
got stuck in a ditch yesterday and tried rocking the car back and forth ended up having to get pulled out. transmission shifted hard after but didnt think to much of it. today was driving and most of the day it was fine until one stop light where the car shudderd as i started driving away and it wont shift. like it seems like first works alittle but when i put in first on the shifter and try goin through the gears like that nothing happens. any ideas???

juanvan
11-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Bet you knocked a line lose or put a hole in the cooler lines - they are under the radiator in the front. If so you prob Ran out of fluid & burned it up.

Autos need fluid to shift - no fluid is VERY bad.

gearhead73
11-24-2010, 08:58 PM
i kno...thing is tho the transmission was shifting today almost the way it should. it got stuck in second for alittle bit this mornin and after that i worked fine. the lines arent leaking at all. the only thing thats leakin is the passenger side axle seal but i have that problem during the winter. the other thing that i noticed is that when the engine is a 1/4 way up the temp gauge the engine tries to stall out going into drive.

the engine just had the plugs done and everything else is good on that. the transmission on the other hand is a different ball game to me since i never understood how the pressures and stuff actually shifted the gears.

so im completly clueless as to whats wrong with the trans