Starting Issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues

Evil_Disco32
11-29-2010, 10:48 AM
I have a 2000 Grand Am GT, and it will start but it will only run for a couple seconds then die! I was told this could be a security issue, but the security light doesn't blink, and I do not know what else it could be! Does anyone have any ideas?

hahano404
11-29-2010, 10:51 AM
need more info. is it hard to start? when it does run, does it run rough? is it throwing any codes? and lastly does it have gas..... lol

Evil_Disco32
11-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah it starts right up, and yes it has gas in it, lol. It starts, runs clean, and just stops! I can start it up right away too as many times as I want, it just wont stay running!

hahano404
11-29-2010, 03:12 PM
hmm. doesnt sound security. passlock wont let you start at all if its jacked up.

heres a few shots in the dark... drop in fuel pressure? do you smell gas? regulators are common.

check charging system? a combo of a bad alternator and batt will lead to dying.

check intake ducting. a loose maf will cause running probs (any vac lines will too but will throw engine light.)

those three systems i believe will cause the issues ur having. which one? cant say without getting dirty with it.

Evil_Disco32
11-29-2010, 08:33 PM
OK, thank you, I will check those first.

Evil_Disco32
12-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Well I pulled the (MAF) out and one of the leads inside are gone! I believe there should be 6 total, 3 on each side. One is missing and the connector is just hanging there from the other lead. Would that cause this problem?

hahano404
12-03-2010, 10:48 AM
not quite sure of the # of leads. can u post pic? if it does look damaged great possability thats your prob

AaronGTR
12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Well I pulled the (MAF) out and one of the leads inside are gone! I believe there should be 6 total, 3 on each side. One is missing and the connector is just hanging there from the other lead. Would that cause this problem?

Do you mean inside the MAF? It is a divided MAF and there should be three metal bars with two tiny metal wires between them on one side, and only two bars with one wire on the other. Then three wires on the plug from the harness.

Evil_Disco32
12-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Ok, it's ok then! I do not know what the hell the issue is with this thing but it's driving me nutz! I have replaced the ignition cylinder, and reset the security system, and cleaned the (MAF)! Do not know what else to do, what could cause this problem besides the security?

AaronGTR
12-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Have you checked the pcm for trouble codes?

Evil_Disco32
12-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah I tried two different tech tools, and it said that there was a code read error on both of them! Maybe it's a PCM issue?

AaronGTR
12-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I'd think it should get some some kind of response even if it's just that there are no codes in the pcm. It might be unrelated, or it could be a failed pcm. I hate to say it, but at this point your best bet may be just towing it to a dealership or shop and having them diagnose the problem and fix it. Doesn't sound like an easy thing to figure out without a service manual, diagnostics tool, and experience.

Evil_Disco32
12-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Well I figured it out! The PCM was bad, I put in a new (used) one reset the security system, and Bang she started right up. Thanks for all your help.