DHP Powertuner vs. HP Tuners [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : DHP Powertuner vs. HP Tuners

G.I.Ceo
11-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Anyone know what the major differences is between DHP and HP tuners? The reason I ask is because I have a buy lined up for a purchase of a DHP powertuner real soon. People are telling me that the DHP is missing very important tables that are needed for the tune. The only thing I need it for is to tune my 02 GA and that's all. I know you guys on here have it our have used in the past. So should I spend my $250 and buy the DHP or save $500 - $600 to get the HP Tuner Pro?

AaronGTR
11-30-2010, 03:39 PM
There is not all that much difference. DHP is not missing any important tables... it will do pretty much everything that HP tuners will. Each has some tables the other doesn't, and some things they just call by different names. The only real difference is that DHP is no longer in business and HPtuners is so they can provide support and updates. DHP you have to just work with what you have, but it will do the job.

G.I.Ceo
12-01-2010, 06:32 AM
There is not all that much difference. DHP is not missing any important tables... it will do pretty much everything that HP tuners will. Each has some tables the other doesn't, and some things they just call by different names. The only real difference is that DHP is no longer in business and HPtuners is so they can provide support and updates. DHP you have to just work with what you have, but it will do the job.
There is still a forum for the DHP correct? Also people are saying it's extremely slow to use and you have to convert tables like you do in excel. is that true? I know you have used it a lot so would it be hard for someone that's never used it before to pick it up and find enough support to make it work? I'm no idiot when it comes to research and figuring stuff out. The only thing I will be using this for is to tune my 02 GA.

lvemy3100
12-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I am not sure what mods you have planned but I know for me I couldn't live without both HPT and DHP

DHP is much more basic (read: no bling) and uses a database compiled from .bin files they chose to add. Mainly covers 96+ 3.8, 3.4, 3.1 engines much more so the 3.8 than anything else however the coverage for N-bodies is pretty good since I was able to get DHP to add them since I bought my tuner back before the unlock. Unfortunately for myself spent $2,500 on the commercial tuner. However fortunately for everyone else because of this they added all the files I needed over the time they were in business and you should have no issues with almost all tuning you may need to do. There are however issues with random tables not being accessible from one year to the next as when Charles added them to the database he either didn't feel it was needed to provide such or just was being lazy. I cant really say and at this point don't really care as no one can do much of anything to fix this. There is one possible solution though when you look around at their forum you can find some nifty tools made by a guy named Eddie98gtp or some such name and he may be able to get you further access into tables that aren't supported for whatever reason in the DHP software.

As for HPT - Lots of bling, very robust scanner that works for many vehicles not just those that are "supported" for tuning. Has tables that DHP doesnt but not many and most if not all will never be touched by 99% of people who need to tune their vehicles. Biggest drawback thus far is a lot of the vehicles claimed to be supported aren't fully supported as I have just recently needed to have them send me software with updates for an 05 Malibu 4cyl, 06 Trailblazer SS, and my own 01 Alero. Each vehicle required an updated software but were done in a reasonable enough amount of time that the 2 customers were not upset due to their wait. HPT is Credit based and requires you to purchase credits per vehicle/vin and comes with 8 credits which is basically enough to tune 4 cars. Also the HPT Pro can do standalone scanning without a laptop in the vehicle.

Hope that helps.

G.I.Ceo
12-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Well thanks for spelling that out for me. It really sounds for me the DHP is the way to go since the one I am looking at is unlocked. All I need the tuner for is my 02 GA which I know they support and I am only using for my personal car. The laptop thing I don't have a problem with and kind of expected to do that anyways. I guess the only draw back will be trying to find support but I know there is some forums out there that I can hunt down what i need but will take some time and research. You answer was a big help so thank you very much.

realestdriver
12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I wanted to find a DHP powertuner, but ended up getting a hptuner due to not finding one. Any kind of tuning will require a learning curve. Took me about a month to get my tune down, the majority of it was research.

Anyone reading this thread and need help with hptuners, you can send me a message.

AaronGTR
12-02-2010, 06:10 AM
^This. There is definitely a lot to learn to get a good tune. Some things are basic like changing injector size, but others take some research and patience to do right. One nice thing about it is, it makes you really learn how the cars mechanical and electrical systems work, in order to understand what to change in your tune and how it will affect the car. This is knowledge that will help you with any car you own in the future.

G.I.Ceo
12-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Well I am buying the DHP from someone and he is giving me tiny tuners with it and a ton more stuff too. The only thing is he doesn't have the owners manual for it but he said I can download it. Does anyone have a copy of one or know where I can download it from?

AaronGTR
12-04-2010, 03:39 PM
huh, uh it never came with an owners manual that I'm aware of. You just had to register on the forum and download the software and follow the install and setup directions. It's not hard at all to get started. There were several tuning guides on there, of varying levels of accuracy.

G.I.Ceo
12-04-2010, 03:56 PM
huh, uh it never came with an owners manual that I'm aware of. You just had to register on the forum and download the software and follow the install and setup directions. It's not hard at all to get started. There were several tuning guides on there, of varying levels of accuracy.

Oh that must of been what he was talking about then. I know when you get on the forum they ask you for the serial number upon registering. I am still waiting for him to get all his stuff together before he can ship it. I can't wait to try it out and do a case realearn that I need to do real bad and to tweak my rear o2 sensor or remove it all together.

lvemy3100
12-05-2010, 10:04 AM
forum is open to non-DHP owners... no serial required. Go sign up and start the learning as it will take much longer to become proficient with tuning than the time you will wait for the unit to arrive. ;)

also tiny tuner is free from Eddie not from DHP.. you just happen to need to use the DHP interface to Read/Write using it.

G.I.Ceo
12-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Well I got all winter to mess with it. I know this will not be a walk in the park but you got to start somewhere and get your feet wet. I don't mind challenges because that is the only way you learn is to do it. I just hope I don't fry my PCM in the process.:D

AaronGTR
12-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Not much chance of that happening, it is generally a pretty safe process. Just follow the tips about doing partial writes and keeping battery voltage up and you'll be fine.

G.I.Ceo
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM
^Thanks Aaron. Is is hard to do a case relearn with this tuner? Mine has been shipped and I should have it by the end of the week. Is there anything I should watch out for and not to mess with?Also is it hard to build a bench harness bypass for the PCM? He said he is giving some stuff with it to build one but I need more parts to do it. He gave me a link on powertuners website but for some reason it won't give me access to it. I just registered a few days ago and I am afraid I will never get permission to use it and if that's the case I am a little screwed. Also do you know what forums I can use to get info for use with my DHP?

AaronGTR
12-05-2010, 07:28 PM
CASE learn is easy. Just have to be at operating temp and follow the on screen directions. The CASE learn feature is under real time controls on the scanner screen.

Don't know about building a bench harness, never needed one myself. Shouldn't need one though unless you plan on selling other people tuned PCM's.

The DHP forum is not very active anymore, but it's still up. I'm not even sure who's administering the site anymore, but someone should eventually give you access. There are several places you can still download the program though, or you can just use the tiny tuner program. Sounds like that may be the best bet anyway.

AleroB888
12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Remote scan adapter:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28809

G.I.Ceo
12-06-2010, 03:03 PM
CASE learn is easy. Just have to be at operating temp and follow the on screen directions. The CASE learn feature is under real time controls on the scanner screen.

Don't know about building a bench harness, never needed one myself. Shouldn't need one though unless you plan on selling other people tuned PCM's.

The DHP forum is not very active anymore, but it's still up. I'm not even sure who's administering the site anymore, but someone should eventually give you access. There are several places you can still download the program though, or you can just use the tiny tuner program. Sounds like that may be the best bet anyway.Well I just got access to the forum today. I found the manual the guy I bought my from was talking about. I see that people have not used this site in months too. I hope I can find everything that I need. Well I will start to do some research and gather anything I can and save it on my desk top.

Remote scan adapter:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28809
Is that black box your power adapter? Do have a write up on how to build that bench harness?

AleroB888
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Is that black box your power adapter? Do have a write up on how to build that bench harness?

No, all I did there was get a PCM connector with wiring from a salvage yard along with the OBD-II under-dash socket with its wires, and remove the wires that were not needed. The double banana plug bundles the ground wires and 12 volt power lines to the Radio Shack power supply (black box), which puts out a solid 13.8 V. Then plug the DHP or HP Tuners connector into the OBD-II socket.

G.I.Ceo
12-06-2010, 07:07 PM
No, all I did there was get a PCM connector with wiring from a salvage yard along with the OBD-II under-dash socket with its wires, and remove the wires that were not needed. The double banana plug bundles the ground wires and 12 volt power lines to the Radio Shack power supply (black box), which puts out a solid 13.8 V. Then plug the DHP or HP Tuners connector into the OBD-II socket.

Do I need this for doing just my car? I don't plan on tuning other peoples cars but you never know. The guy I bought mine from is send me stuff he said to help build the bench harness but I am not sure what it is he is sending me. I will have it by the end of the week and I will have a better idea then.

AleroB888
12-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Do I need this for doing just my car? I don't plan on tuning other peoples cars but you never know. The guy I bought mine from is send me stuff he said to help build the bench harness but I am not sure what it is he is sending me. I will have it by the end of the week and I will have a better idea then.

No, you don't absolutely need it, but if you want to keep a spare PCM or two around, and want to update them to match the one in the car, or go back to stock, it's handy. Or if you want to send somebody one to try out a tune, read one to build a database, etc.

G.I.Ceo
12-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Well I received my DHP today and had to create a virtual box for xp inside of windows 7 to use it but that's not biggie. I am going to hook it up to my car tonight or in the next fews days to get understand how it works. The guy Ibought it from threw in a bunch of other programs too that I am going to check out. Wish me luck.

01GPGT
12-10-2010, 05:29 PM
my DHP works fine with 7. i even have the 64bit didn't have to make it think it was xp at all

G.I.Ceo
12-10-2010, 05:36 PM
my DHP works fine with 7. i even have the 64bit didn't have to make it think it was xp at all
Well mine keeps asking me for Windows .NET Framework version 1.1. How did you install it on 7 with no issues?

Grandamgtblk99
12-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I had to install that framework, or something, once I did that, it worked fine on windows 7 for me.

G.I.Ceo
12-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Which version did you guys download? I downloaded version 4 and I still cant get it to work? Did you have to make any changes to it when you installed windows .NET framework?

G.I.Ceo
12-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Got it to work. I was trying to do things the hard way. Now it's time to go play.

01GPGT
12-11-2010, 05:26 PM
i did a sertion for framewrok vertion one found vertion 1.2 and DLed it installed it and it worked lol

glad you got it working though