Engine and Tranny Swap [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine and Tranny Swap

dudelove45
12-08-2010, 10:36 PM
hey all, so, my transmission finally blew. Had no car up until tonight. Got a 2010 Mazda3. Love it. Anyways, I have a spare motor and tranny that i will be putting in this weekend. I would like to try to make up a full how-to while doing this. So, I'll be taking pictures and keeping track of what all needs to be done, and hopefully, I'll have a How-to done by next week for anybody who wants to do it themselves. Hope all goes well. Ciao.

young gun
12-09-2010, 08:52 PM
whatcha swapping in?

AaronGTR
12-09-2010, 10:42 PM
whatcha swapping in?

duh, he said a "spare motor and tranny", and he has a GT, so it stands to reason he's putting in a fresh 3400 and 4T45E. ;)

PhantomLover007
12-10-2010, 03:59 PM
duh, he said a "spare motor and tranny", and he has a GT, so it stands to reason he's putting in a fresh 3400 and 4T45E. ;)

WRONG Aaron... He's putting in an SC'd 3800 w/ a 6 spd tranny... lol lol lol

dudelove45
12-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I had high hopes for this car. But alas, its a used 3400 with 4t45e. Came from my parts car. 80,000kms on both. We're almost ready to pull and in only 3 hours. Gonna finish up tomorrow and drop the new one in. Then sunday will be dedicated to reconnecting and fixing any hiccups. I'll keep ya updated.

01GPGT
12-10-2010, 06:31 PM
hmm sad thing it your car may be dine befor mine. and i started over a month ago. well the school did i did not have the time to do it my self

young gun
12-10-2010, 10:20 PM
yeah i was thinking along the lines of PL too

dudelove45
12-13-2010, 03:43 PM
So, new motor and tranny is in and the bastard started on the first try! Running very smoothly. Transmission seems like its hesitating a little, but it has been sitting for about 2-3 years. I drained the atf and put almost 5L in when it started dripping out the plug. Shopkey said it required 9L for a complete overhaul. So, maybe it just needs to be topped up just a little bit. But yeah, other than that. Runs awesome. Am working on compiling a how-to so that people will know what to expect and maybe save themselves some time.

PhantomLover007
12-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Good sh1t man.

AaronGTR
12-13-2010, 05:52 PM
So, new motor and tranny is in and the bastard started on the first try! Running very smoothly. Transmission seems like its hesitating a little, but it has been sitting for about 2-3 years. I drained the atf and put almost 5L in when it started dripping out the plug. Shopkey said it required 9L for a complete overhaul. So, maybe it just needs to be topped up just a little bit. But yeah, other than that. Runs awesome. Am working on compiling a how-to so that people will know what to expect and maybe save themselves some time.

Yeah, 9L is if you drain the whole thing and remove the torque converter too. It won't take that much for just a pan drop. It does have to be running, level, and at normal operating temp to get an accurate level at the drain plug though. Make sure you run the shift lever through all the positions too, to make sure the converter and everything else has fluid in it.

dudelove45
12-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah, 9L is if you drain the whole thing and remove the torque converter too. It won't take that much for just a pan drop. It does have to be running, level, and at normal operating temp to get an accurate level at the drain plug though. Make sure you run the shift lever through all the positions too, to make sure the converter and everything else has fluid in it.

So, everything is done. Found out the O2 sensor from the 02 GT is a different connect than mine. I rechecked the atf and found out it was a little low still, so I dumped some more in. The only thing I didnt do was do it while the car was running. After I put the fluid in, I did start it and run it through all the gears for about 15-30 secs. It's shifting better. However, in the morning when its cold, it seems the transmission is not kicking in. I can move just very slow. Once the car is warm, its perfectly fine. Seen someone else had a similar problem, but mine is only affected at cold start. Once its at normal operating temp, its fine. Don't matter where I am. Gonna recheck the fluid again and go from there. Overall though, car runs beautifully.

01GPGT
12-15-2010, 04:15 PM
yeah i ran into the connector thing as well

AaronGTR
12-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Yeah, car has to be running and level when you check the fluid level. That is critical! If the engine isn't running it's not turning the fluid pump in the transmission and some fluid drains back into the pan and will throw it off and you'll actually be low. :thumbs:

dudelove45
12-15-2010, 10:03 PM
alright, thanks aaron. I'm doing that tomorrow. I still have a full 5L jug of atf i bought just in case. I'll have pics and an how-to compiled soon. Figured, I've asked alot of questions and whatnot from this forum, time to give back.