=( help my poor grand am [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : =( help my poor grand am

rodama5anthony
12-10-2010, 12:37 AM
so i got my 2000 grand am gt 3 years ago and its been awesome! learned about the faulty coolant cap got that changed, installed cold air intake, strut bars front and rear (big difference! so fun going down curvy mountain roads at 30-40mph), and installed lambo doors :)....... but started to hear a funny noise by the belt so i asked my dad to check it out he finds that the power steering is low so filled it up but im still hearing this weird noise. then im driving home one day late at night and suddenly the powersteering goes and then the car begins to over heat so i pull over. long story short the pulley tensioner was super old and finally gave out. got it fixed the next day but now i feel a lack of power my temp is running 3 lines over half way and my coolant probably has oil in it, probably was like that before the inncident found some bugger looking things under the coolant cap. sorry guys for going on a rant but i love my grand am =(

so what might be the damage done since the engine hit critical temp? and any other possible reasons for the symptoms i described?

JRYAN34
12-10-2010, 03:27 AM
stopped reading at lambo doors

AaronGTR
12-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Depends on how hot it got. 200-230 is normal. 260 is in the red zone. If your tensioner was broke and the belt wasn't turning, that would explain no power steering since the PS pump wouldn't be turning. It would also mean the water pump wasn't turning and it probably over heated. Depending on just how hot it got and for how long, you may have blown a head gasket, and even warped the heads. The lower intake gasket may also be bad and could be leaking coolant into the oil or on the outside of the engine.

How hot does it normally get and how fast does it heat up? Is it loosing coolant or oil? Is there any sign of coolant in the oil? Is there any white smoke coming out the exhaust? It's really hard to say anything for sure without more info or seeing the car in person. Has the lower intake manifold gasket ever been changed or is it still using the factory one? Those are known to fail. If it hasn't been changed, I would at least change that for a set of the fel-pro metal gaskets and do an oil change and coolant flush. That's the minimum, it may need more depending on how serious the problem is.

gtjoshua1
12-10-2010, 12:37 PM
stopped reading at lambo doors

Worthless post :attention:asshat;attention:amraam:

rodama5anthony
12-10-2010, 02:38 PM
man tough crowd here on the grandam forum

PhantomLover007
12-10-2010, 02:41 PM
This is the mean site. If you need soft and cuddly... Go to the other one... lol lol

rodama5anthony
12-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Depends on how hot it got. 200-230 is normal. 260 is in the red zone. If your tensioner was broke and the belt wasn't turning, that would explain no power steering since the PS pump wouldn't be turning. It would also mean the water pump wasn't turning and it probably over heated. Depending on just how hot it got and for how long, you may have blown a head gasket, and even warped the heads. The lower intake gasket may also be bad and could be leaking coolant into the oil or on the outside of the engine.

How hot does it normally get and how fast does it heat up? Is it loosing coolant or oil? Is there any sign of coolant in the oil? Is there any white smoke coming out the exhaust? It's really hard to say anything for sure without more info or seeing the car in person. Has the lower intake manifold gasket ever been changed or is it still using the factory one? Those are known to fail. If it hasn't been changed, I would at least change that for a set of the fel-pro metal gaskets and do an oil change and coolant flush. That's the minimum, it may need more depending on how serious the problem is.

first of all i wanna say thank you for not being a **** like some of these other guys. and when i was able to pull over it was about two little lines before the the top and it took me about 20 sec to pull over when i noticed it was climbing so high. the engine heats up really quickly and usually stops about two lines past halfway. there is white smoke coming out the exhaust. so what do you think would be the best route to take: engine rebuild, new engine, or just change the gaskets and hope the problems are fixed?

rodama5anthony
12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
This is the mean site. If you need soft and cuddly... Go to the other one... lol lol

naw tough crowds are fun

PhantomLover007
12-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Sounds alot like you do have a cracked head if it's overheating and you've got white smoke. If you drive around and you're losing power, it's gotta get fixed

rodama5anthony
12-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Sounds alot like you do have a cracked head if it's overheating and you've got white smoke. If you drive around and you're losing power, it's gotta get fixed

its not really over heatings it stays alittle over half but its definatly running warm then it was before. could there have been any damage in the cylinders?

icecats87
12-10-2010, 04:15 PM
do a compression test but if its running over half and white smoke and no power my bet is its a head gasket, normal operation temperature is 195 which is a notch under half or half way when its at idle is it a rough idle? my bet is on head gasket but do the compression check.

01GPGT
12-10-2010, 05:34 PM

i would not condem the heads so soon. a head gasket is more likely

AaronGTR
12-10-2010, 06:33 PM
My guess would be head gasket as well. I would replace them, and you'll have to do the LIM gaskets at the same time anyway. I would pull the heads and take them to a machine shop and have them checked before putting them back on the engine though. If they have to deck them to make the surfaces flat again, it usually doesn't cost a whole lot. That way you'll know they are good though.

edit: yes a compression test first would be a good idea as well. If it's definitely a head gasket, the compression test should show it.

rodama5anthony
12-10-2010, 06:33 PM
thanks guys i appreciate the input ill be doing a compression test when i get the chance then and see what the results are

cutlsp
12-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Well i'm not trying to high jack the thread but on the mention of gaskets if he does either set he will have to replace the bolts as well since they are torque to yield bolts. Failure to replace them is just asking for even more problems. Also are the Felpro perma dry plus intake manifold gaskets any better then what you can get from GM directly? I've been thinking about doing the intake manifold gaskets on the car myself as the last guy to do them didn't do a great job on it.

Brenden747
12-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Well i'm not trying to high jack the thread but on the mention of gaskets if he does either set he will have to replace the bolts as well since they are torque to yield bolts. Failure to replace them is just asking for even more problems. Also are the Felpro perma dry plus intake manifold gaskets any better then what you can get from GM directly? I've been thinking about doing the intake manifold gaskets on the car myself as the last guy to do them didn't do a great job on it.

The question is, why buy more parts bound to fail from gm? yes go with the felpro perma dry plus gaskets, and for the love of god spend 13 dollars on new blots for the head, and the intake manifold..

And welcome to the tough crowd :hay:

BTW lambo doors are so played out that Lamborghini doesn't use them anymore..

cutlsp
12-16-2010, 11:58 AM
The question is, why buy more parts bound to fail from gm? yes go with the felpro perma dry plus gaskets, and for the love of god spend 13 dollars on new blots for the head, and the intake manifold..

And welcome to the tough crowd :hay:

BTW lambo doors are so played out that Lamborghini doesn't use them anymore..

I don't know if you meant for this reply to come to me or to the guy with the problem with his car. If you looked at the date i joined you would see that i have been a member here longer then you. I've been told that GM redesigned the gaskets for these engines and they are a better quality now. Not that I trust that parts guy at all as he has sold me the wrong parts for my classic Delta 88 before. I didn't see anyone mention the need of getting new bolts so I added my Input but had a simple question on the intake manifold gaskets. You did not have to respond to the way you did as I am an ASE certified mechanic and I was trained to only replace with parts from the dealership or AC Delco parts. Also lay off on the Lambo doors its his car not your's if he wants to add lambo doors to his grand am thats great. I will never put something like that on my grand am though. People flaming on other guy's cars make me mad its his car not your's he was asking for help to fix it not for your opinion on the lambo doors. I'm taking another vacation from here because of people that make posts like that.....

AaronGTR
12-16-2010, 04:09 PM
You are correct, the head bolts also have to be replaced when changing the head gaskets. If you get a set of ARP head studs (as I did) then those can be re-used, but most people don't need to spend that much so just get a set of new OEM head bolts.

As for gaskets, yes GM did redesign the LIM gaskets. They didn't change the materials at all though. All they did was add a metal disc in each lower corner to keep from compressing the gasket too far if someone over tightens them. They also revised the installation procedure and include new bolts with pre-applied thread lock in the OEM gasket kit to replace the old bolts. They do work better than the original gaskets, but they still aren't as good as the felpro ones. I prefer the felpro ones myself and I re-use the original bolts and just clean them up and put high heat/high strength thread lock on them. I've done about 6 LIM gasket repairs on different cars and have yet to have one fail using this method. The torquing sequence and procedure is very important!

2000 GT Coupe
12-16-2010, 11:35 PM

I agree get the bolts for the best peace of mind.
I did the head gaskets on mine last spring, I found the inside of the engine damn near clean enough to eat off, but the bolts looked like crap and the head gaskets were toast. It even had the metal lim gaskets so someone took the time to redo it but figured they would save a little dough on bolts and they didnt last very long.

I took my heads in to a machine shop and had them pressure checked and resurfaced. spent $100 I am happy with the results too, car seems way peppier. though that could be because its got all the original compression back.

Brenden747
12-17-2010, 01:06 AM
I don't know if you meant for this reply to come to me or to the guy with the problem with his car. If you looked at the date i joined you would see that i have been a member here longer then you. I've been told that GM redesigned the gaskets for these engines and they are a better quality now. Not that I trust that parts guy at all as he has sold me the wrong parts for my classic Delta 88 before. I didn't see anyone mention the need of getting new bolts so I added my Input but had a simple question on the intake manifold gaskets. You did not have to respond to the way you did as I am an ASE certified mechanic and I was trained to only replace with parts from the dealership or AC Delco parts. Also lay off on the Lambo doors its his car not your's if he wants to add lambo doors to his grand am thats great. I will never put something like that on my grand am though. People flaming on other guy's cars make me mad its his car not your's he was asking for help to fix it not for your opinion on the lambo doors. I'm taking another vacation from here because of people that make posts like that.....

I answered your question in a descent manor, if you don't like it, ignore it, or jam it up your ass sideways and sit on it.

Idk the question is, were you the guy with lambo doors? No, k thnx bai *banana*

and the redesigned GM gaskets still fail ;) just less of a chance since the redesign..

01GPGT
12-17-2010, 01:25 AM
all intake gaskets eventualy fail. i do not know of any that are fail free

i had a heck of a time with my 350 chev in my 74 1/2 ton that thing hated intake gaskets

AaronGTR
12-17-2010, 03:40 AM
Most of the failures I see are from people not installing them correctly. As I said, I have yet to have one fail, even using the Gm redesign gasket.