Tramsission slippage?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tramsission slippage??

pontiacgt05
12-14-2010, 03:29 PM
I dont think it is, but i figured I would ask to see if I could get a better opinion. As I was leaving school, there is a stop light at the bottom of a hill, and I got a red light. So i stopped and was the second car in the line, so i was a little bit up on the hill. The light turns green, I give it some gas and the rpms shoot up to 4000! My car is barely rolling forward, and it seemed the only reason i was was because of the hill. I made sure I was in drive, and i was. I let go of the gas and pushed it in a few times, hoping maybe that would help it catch.. but same thing. eventually i get up to like 25 and Im on the road, and im cruisin at like 5k rpm, and its not shifting. I wasnt giving it very much gas either. After a while it starting getting back to normal and i never had the problem all the way back home.

The temperature is like 12 degrees out, and i didnt really give the car any time to warm up, so im thinking that might be the cause.

I would really like to hear its no big deal, so thanks for any help.

dlineownzu4life
12-14-2010, 03:45 PM
I can tell you that with a modern engine like this you don't need to worry about warming it up, so its not that. Sorry.

AaronGTR
12-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Sounds kinda like what the transmission in my grand prix was doing right before it took a crap. It would just let the engine rev up but didn't want to catch and accelerate or shift. When it started doing it to me it happened all at once and I barely got it home before it quit all together. Ended up being some kind of seal inside had cracked and broke, and wasn't holding any fluid pressure and allowing it to shift or engage the torque converter. When I dropped the pan there were all kinds of little bits and pieces in the bottom.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you could be due for a new transmission soon.

pontiacgt05
12-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Definately not what i wanted to hear. Is it strange that it only does it when its cold though? It doesnt do it if i even let it warm up for like 5 minutes. Or is it something like it warms up just enough to create pressure to seal a small leak. Just throwin thoughts out.

pontiacgt05
12-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Also it doesnt do it as i drive through the parking lot to get to the light. only after i stop and start to go again.

WidbyJ
12-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Check the trans fluid level and/or condition. May be just a bit low, pointed downhill may make it worse... Since it is such a pain to do properly you might want to just go ahead and have the filter swapped and fluid refilled. Do not get a flush. Guessing you still have original fluid in there...

Malaclypse
12-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Definately not what i wanted to hear. Is it strange that it only does it when its cold though? It doesnt do it if i even let it warm up for like 5 minutes. Or is it something like it warms up just enough to create pressure to seal a small leak. Just throwin thoughts out.

That's not strange at all. Actually that was a question I had on an ASE test this last testing round...

A hardened seal will cause this. When the transmission heats up the parts expand and will seal whichever seal happens to be leaking.

You could just go in and replace the affected seal... but you may as well rebuild it when you're in there.

pontiacgt05
12-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Well I really dont have that kind of money for a rebuild. I dont know how much that would run though. Ill check the fluid and hopefully that is the reason, and if not maybe its minor enough just to get patched up, or something like that.

whiteGT99
12-14-2010, 09:16 PM
holy crap i was actually going to make a postingabout this same thing. Dont want to take away from ur thread but i would like to know about mine as well. i will start it no problems then i would drive a few blocks with a couple stop signs and it will be fine but once i get the the main highway through town i take off from the stop sign and revs up real high but i am just crawling basically, usually once it shifts into 2 it seems to be fine, and then it will not do that again until the next day when i start my day off.

it is just weird to me that it just does it once a day

and yes it is really cold here as well, car has just shy of 142xxx miles and as far as i know nothing has been touch on the tranny.

pontiacgt05
12-15-2010, 06:14 AM
Yea thats exactly whats been happening to me! Its always been fine on the way to school, but i always let it warm up. And driving through the parking lot and though the street is fine. but as soon as i stop at that light, the car just doesnt want to go anywhere. And itll cruise at about 5k and slowly accelerate, and when it wants to, it shifts into 2nd and its all fine until the next day.

maineiac
12-15-2010, 10:07 AM
mine does the same exact thing but only on occasion.. and it feels like the car doesnt have any balls when you romp on it from like 35-40 or so. my car is an 03 with almost 142k

pontiacgt05
12-15-2010, 01:00 PM
mine does the same exact thing but only on occasion.. and it feels like the car doesnt have any balls when you romp on it from like 35-40 or so. my car is an 03 with almost 142k
No i dont think its the same thing at all. Sounds like when you floor it, the transmission just doesnt down shift, so you dont get as much power.

Today, after school i decided i would let the car warm up a little bit. I sat in my car for about 5 minutes and decided to see if that made a difference. Sure enough got stopped by the stop light, and when i accelerated everything was fine, completely normal. Might not have been a great idea, but decided to give it some gas on one of the random stop lights on the way home, and got it up to about 4500 rpm and everything went fine, i got up to about 40 mph and it shifted as smoothly as it ever has.

pontiacgt05
12-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Taking it to the shop just to look at it. Ive read about it a little bit, but what is the reason for not flushing the trans fluid?

GRAND-AM-SE
12-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I dont think it is, but i figured I would ask to see if I could get a better opinion. As I was leaving school, there is a stop light at the bottom of a hill, and I got a red light. So i stopped and was the second car in the line, so i was a little bit up on the hill. The light turns green, I give it some gas and the rpms shoot up to 4000! My car is barely rolling forward, and it seemed the only reason i was was because of the hill. I made sure I was in drive, and i was. I let go of the gas and pushed it in a few times, hoping maybe that would help it catch.. but same thing. eventually i get up to like 25 and Im on the road, and im cruisin at like 5k rpm, and its not shifting. I wasnt giving it very much gas either. After a while it starting getting back to normal and i never had the problem all the way back home.

The temperature is like 12 degrees out, and i didnt really give the car any time to warm up, so im thinking that might be the cause.

I would really like to hear its no big deal, so thanks for any help.

its prob ****ed beyond repair, but go to a trans shop have them change ur oil and put in about 2 bottles of lucus trans fix

worked for me cuz my tanny shifted hard but idk u got a much bigger issue

GRAND-AM-SE
12-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Taking it to the shop just to look at it. Ive read about it a little bit, but what is the reason for not flushing the trans fluid?

a flush will fuk it up bad!!!!

dont do it, i swear dont, all the little know nothing quick fix shops will say a flush is great, ITS NOT IT WILL FUK UR CAR UP, go to a real transmission shop and speak to them and have them just drop the pan and clean it, new oils and new seal

USE A BOTTLE OR TWO OF LUCUAS TRANS FIX

WORKED WELL FOR ME

AaronGTR
12-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Yeah, definitely don't get it flushed. That's what ended up killing mine. It was high miles and no maintenance records from the previous owner so I didn't know how old the fluid was. I didn't know the difference back then between just a drain and fill versus a flush, and told the dealership to flush the trans and put new fluid in. When they flush it, if the fluid currently in it is very old and dirty, it just stirs up all the crap in it and pushes it through all the seals and totally F's them up! Less than 2,000 miles later I had to buy a new transmission.

pontiacgt05
12-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Okay well i dropped it off at aamco and they said theyll look at it tomorrow morning. Its a free diagnosis so theyll tell me whats wrong with it before they do anything. Ive done alot of research though and it seems to be pointing to just filling up the trans fluid. Apparently in really cold weather, and being sitting there all day, the trans fluid contracts alot and doesnt flow through the tranny well, mix that with a bad filter, and its barely flowing at all. After it warms up, the fluid expands and flows much more freely. Thats just what ive read.

Also havnt been paying to much attention to the tranny fluid, especially with there not being a dip stick in the engine bay. This is my first car, so im still learning all the steps in up keep.

whiteGT99
12-15-2010, 07:46 PM
i have to work tomorrow morning, so i will let it warm up before i leave and see if that works

plz let me know what aamco says, thanks

GRAND-AM-SE
12-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Okay well i dropped it off at aamco and they said theyll look at it tomorrow morning. Its a free diagnosis so theyll tell me whats wrong with it before they do anything. Ive done alot of research though and it seems to be pointing to just filling up the trans fluid. Apparently in really cold weather, and being sitting there all day, the trans fluid contracts alot and doesnt flow through the tranny well, mix that with a bad filter, and its barely flowing at all. After it warms up, the fluid expands and flows much more freely. Thats just what ive read.

Also havnt been paying to much attention to the tranny fluid, especially with there not being a dip stick in the engine bay. This is my first car, so im still learning all the steps in up keep.

get this im telling you, it works

http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/products/10009.jpg

whiteGT99
12-16-2010, 03:26 PM
sure enough i let my car warm up for about 10 min this morning before work and it did not do it like it usually does

so like i said let me know what aamco says....greatly appreciated

AaronGTR
12-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Yes, warming the car up in advance could definitely help, although it probably doesn't solve the underlying problem. If you have a stock radiator and trans cooling lines, they run inside the radiator of course and that serves a dual purpose. It cools off the trans fluid if it starts running too hot, but more importantly it heats up the trans fluid with heat from the coolant to get it up to temp faster. Especially if it is cold outside, the engine coolant heats up much faster the the oil or trans fluid do.

That's partly why I don't drive mine in the winter. Oversize custom radiator plus oversize separate trans fluid and oil coolers = very low fluid temps in cold weather.

pontiacgt05
12-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I certainly hope my radiator is not the problem. Just spent 650 bucks on a new radiator, pump, and line. Mechanic said they were bad..

Anyway no update on the car. Got about 4 inches of snow today so the mechanics couldnt make it in so no word on the car. hopefully it will be more clear tomorrow and ill have an update

maineiac
12-16-2010, 08:45 PM
yes yes.. we do have the same problem.. mine shifts smooth and downshifts great.. mine will slip like a sob if i dont let it warm up too.. but when i take a hard left and accelerate, like from a stop sign.. it seems like my car's in neutral, not trying to thread jack but not sure if yours does that too. I checked the fluid levels in mine and it was full.. im pretty sure it's never been changed though.

pontiacgt05
12-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Pretty sure thats normal. When you take a sharp turn and floor it, because the wheels are turned so much the power isnt getting to them, so it revs up. When you straighten up does it jolt real bad from shifting?

AaronGTR
12-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I certainly hope my radiator is not the problem. Just spent 650 bucks on a new radiator, pump, and line. Mechanic said they were bad..

Anyway no update on the car. Got about 4 inches of snow today so the mechanics couldnt make it in so no word on the car. hopefully it will be more clear tomorrow and ill have an update

Wasn't saying the rad was a problem. ;) Just giving some insight as to how the systems heat up for the people having issues with slippage because of cold fluid and old seals.

maineiac
12-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Pretty sure thats normal. When you take a sharp turn and floor it, because the wheels are turned so much the power isnt getting to them, so it revs up. When you straighten up does it jolt real bad from shifting?

i don't floor it, if the wheels are turned and i give it any gas at all it acts like its in neutral.. just revs up. how the hell do you check the trans fluid on these cars anyway? I found the fill cap under the manifold but there was no dipstick? lol maybe i'm an :asshat

pontiacgt05
12-17-2010, 07:24 PM
The only way to check it is from under the car.. which is stupid. But i got word from the shop. Transmission fluid, well there was none. I would say thats a pretty big problem, but the only things that went bad were the belt and the pump, the transmission is still in great condition. So the shop said 200 bucks and its fixed.

whiteGT99
12-17-2010, 07:37 PM
well if that is the case on mine i would rather spend 200 or so on the fix then spending 2 grand on a rebuild

pontiacgt05
12-17-2010, 08:31 PM
exactly what i said! Definately could have been avoided though..

maineiac
12-18-2010, 11:14 AM
mine is probably out too, i can sometimes hear the gears meshing at low speeds :/

pontiacgt05
12-20-2010, 12:23 PM
finally got the car back today. Its driving as good as new, if not better. The shop replaced the belt, and idler pulley. when i started it up and started driving though, it had like a soapy kinda smell, but i figured that was just the new fluid making its way through the system.

whiteGT99
12-20-2010, 09:11 PM
but the only things that went bad were the belt and the pump

what belt and what pump?

pontiacgt05
12-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Thats what my parents told me the mechanic said.. but thats not right at all. They replaced the idler pulley and i guess the belt to that.

manofmany
12-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Hope you don't lose your tranny soon. Aamco has a horrendous reputation for cars coming in and notoriously needing a new transmission a short while later.