Transmission hates cold?? help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission hates cold?? help

blondiez24gt
12-15-2010, 05:13 PM
When it is extremely cold like below 20 degrees all night. My car starts up fine, and goes into gear, but doesn't take off normal. It goes real high into the rpms and accelerates really slow. It will shift and get up to speed, but horribly slow. If I let it sit for 20-30 minutes warming up it runs fine, and after I've drove it for a few minutes it starts moving better.
I had a couple people tell me that the transmission fluid probably needs changed along with the filter. They said the filter is probably clogged up a bit, and when it gets really cold the fluid doesn't go through the filter and valve body as good as it should.
I looked around on the internet a little bit searching about this problem, and found a couple of the same problems I have and they said they were corrected by changing the fluid also.
I was just wondering if this sounded logical to you guys, or could there be another problem somewhere else? It has always driven fine in the warmer weather. It has just been extremely cold outside the last week. Even when its like 30 degrees all night it drives fine. Its just when its below 20 degrees for a full night that it does this. Any help would be great. Thanks

pontiacgt05
12-15-2010, 06:49 PM
I just posted a thread about this. Car is in the shop right now getting looked at right now so well see what the problem is. Someone else is having this problem too, so chances seem to me are pretty slim that all of our transmissions are bad..

whiteGT99
12-15-2010, 07:56 PM
damn another one is the same boat as me and u pontiacgt05

pontiacgt05
12-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Yea thats why im saying that its a pretty big coincidence if we all have bad transmissions, Just as the weather gets cold. I really think it just needs a filter replace and a drain and fill.

ikilledyooouuu
12-15-2010, 09:35 PM
tranny fluid?

blondiez24gt
12-15-2010, 10:40 PM
I didn't even read your post...lol That is a coincidence all these cars doing the same thing when its cold. I also just told My husband about the post I made, and he said he made a post on this account last year when he was driving my car. He said it was doing the same thing when it was extremely cold for a few days. He said it warmed up the following week and he just never messed with it, or told me cause it started driving fine. I drove it the rest of the spring, summer, and fall. I haven't had a problem until the temps went below 20, and it was parked outside all night long. Its confusing. I'll wait and see what the shop tells you before I do anything...lol

blondiez24gt
12-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Well, I went and got 7 quarts of transmission fluid, and a filter, gasket kit. I jacked the car up, and dropped the pan. First off the trans fluid was dark brown.....it looked like slightly used oil. It didn't look good at all. Second it was about 2-3 quarts low. Just shy of 4 quarts came out of the pan itself, and there was a little bit in the filter not sure how much.

I cleaned the pan up, and the surface where the gasket seals. Put everything back together. Filled it with 6 quarts of fluid. Started the car up, and let it run for 10-15 minutes. Then shifted through gears a few times. I put it in nuetral which is what I think your suppose to do. Then I opened the check plug for the trans fluid. I added the last quart and it just came out of the hole when I just finished pouring the last quart in. So it must hold almost exactly 7 quarts with a pan drop.

After I finished, I took it for a test drive. Everything seemed to work smoothly. So I parked it outside, because I knew it was gonna be cold last night. I went out this morning started it up, and had no problems at all. It always had the problems on a cold morning where it had been sitting outside in the cold. So I would have to say the problem is solved. It seems to shift smoother than it ever has.

The trans shops around here wanted to charge 200 bucks just to drop the pan and a filter fluid change. Some places wouldn't even do it they said, because there was no dipstick. lol I bought all the stuff and did it myself for $45. It wasn't real hard either. Anyone who is having the same problem I had. I suggest just dropping the pan, and changing the filter and fluid.