PCM Replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : PCM Replacement

Evil_Disco32
12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
What would happen if you change the pcm on a 2000 pontiac grand am gt and do not flash the pcm? (The new PCM also has the same number on the sticker)

ikilledyooouuu
12-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Why would you want to flash the new pcm you are putting into the car? Doesnt make sense.

As long as you follow the steps into putting in the new pcm, youll be fine.

PM sent

Evil_Disco32
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Well if it was a brand new pcm you have to flash it! I am just wondering if I need to to do it with a used one also.

AaronGTR
12-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Why would you want to flash the new pcm you are putting into the car? Doesnt make sense.

As long as you follow the steps into putting in the new pcm, youll be fine.

PM sent

It makes plenty of sense, if you understand anything about these PCM's.

Just because it has the same service number on it doesn't mean has the same program loaded in it. There are differences in the program between different years of grand am and even for the alero. There are also other things in the PCM that need to be changed. The VIN number must be updated, the security code has to match the one saved in the BCM for each key cycle or it may not start, and the crank shaft position learn procedure must be done.

You can't just take one PCM out and swap another one in and expect it to work correctly. It's not that easy.

Evil_Disco32
12-20-2010, 07:44 AM
OK, the only reason I ask is that I bought this car for $500, and it would not start when I got it. at first I thought it was a security problem, but resetting the security did nothing so I replaced the PCM, reset the security, and bang it started right up! But now it starts and runs great, it just won't go! When I step on the gas it is very sluggish, and won't shift up unless I let of the gas. I can drive it, and if I go slow it will shift, but, not normal. I am just wondering if this could be due to the used PCM?

AaronGTR
12-20-2010, 03:37 PM
It could be, if it has the wrong program in it. It could also be a transmission issue. You check the fluid level in it?

ikilledyooouuu
12-20-2010, 09:53 PM
It makes plenty of sense, if you understand anything about these PCM's.

Just because it has the same service number on it doesn't mean has the same program loaded in it. There are differences in the program between different years of grand am and even for the alero. There are also other things in the PCM that need to be changed. The VIN number must be updated, the security code has to match the one saved in the BCM for each key cycle or it may not start, and the crank shaft position learn procedure must be done.

You can't just take one PCM out and swap another one in and expect it to work correctly. It's not that easy.

Thought he Took out his Old one and reflashed it already.

Evil_Disco32
12-21-2010, 09:33 AM
OK, thanks for the info! I have checked the tranny, it had way too much fluid in it. Thought that may have been the issue but nothing changed. Its more of a sluggish go, rather than a shifting issue. Thats why I think it is due to the pcm I put in it.