Trac system off and abs light---- help :( [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trac system off and abs light---- help :(

GRAND-AM-SE
12-23-2010, 10:24 PM
what could this mean?

best thing to do is get the codes read right?

came on when driving on the high way, i turned car off started back on, drove for a lil then it came on again :(

what could be the problem?

howley71489
12-23-2010, 10:42 PM
happend to me about a week ago ended up being my speed sensor. which means i had to replace my wheel bearing. seeing how its all one unit. bring it to a shop and they will be able to tell you what is wrong with it.

Mike Jung
12-23-2010, 10:43 PM
The sticky above in this section looks good:

SVS/ABS Lights - Brakes Appear Fine (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42959)

BattousaiX33
12-24-2010, 06:29 AM
happend to me about a week ago ended up being my speed sensor. which means i had to replace my wheel bearing. seeing how its all one unit. bring it to a shop and they will be able to tell you what is wrong with it.

x2

[ChaosweaveR]
12-24-2010, 07:45 AM
The hub assembly need replacement it sounds like. Early signs before you start actually hearing noise from the bearing.

Your best bet is to replace with a Timken unit, part #: 513137

GRAND-AM-SE
12-24-2010, 11:14 PM
;1146054']The hub assembly need replacement it sounds like. Early signs before you start actually hearing noise from the bearing.

Your best bet is to replace with a Timken unit, part #: 513137

what if i pop the wheels off, and shake the hub to see if it is worne out and has play to it?

alos if i unplug the sensors and clean them up and check the wires for anything disconnected or broken? if that doesnt work take it to a shop and have them read the codes?????

BattousaiX33
12-25-2010, 12:33 PM
what if i pop the wheels off, and shake the hub to see if it is worne out and has play to it?

alos if i unplug the sensors and clean them up and check the wires for anything disconnected or broken? if that doesnt work take it to a shop and have them read the codes?????

you can try that, but if the problems persists take it to a shop to have the codes read so that you can figure out which is the bad sensor and replace it. when you take the wheels off inspect the wires from the bearing to the plug, i had wire break between the hub and harness. other than a shop i don't think anyone reads abs codes for free in the pittsburgh area.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-25-2010, 01:01 PM
ABS codes are stored in the BCM, and a regular OBDII scanner will not work.

Don't take the wheels off, leave them on, and check for play. Better yet, secure the car, jack up the front wheels, and put the car in drive and look for excessive play as the wheels spin from idle. That's how I pinpointed my right front hub going bad.

GRAND-AM-SE
12-25-2010, 04:23 PM
you can try that, but if the problems persists take it to a shop to have the codes read so that you can figure out which is the bad sensor and replace it. when you take the wheels off inspect the wires from the bearing to the plug, i had wire break between the hub and harness. other than a shop i don't think anyone reads abs codes for free in the pittsburgh area.

ok thanks alot,

well i drove the car today and the code didnt come on at all??

im thinkin water/salt or mositer got into it the other day and caused that when he roads were slushy, im still going to jack the car up and play with the wheels to see if there is any movement

[ChaosweaveR]
12-25-2010, 05:16 PM
ok thanks alot,

well i drove the car today and the code didnt come on at all??

im thinkin water/salt or mositer got into it the other day and caused that when he roads were slushy, im still going to jack the car up and play with the wheels to see if there is any movement

Like I said, this is the early signs that the sensors are going bad. Nip it in the butt and replace the assembly now, before it start to make noise and affect the ride quality.

GRAND-AM-SE
12-25-2010, 05:27 PM
;1146161']Like I said, this is the early signs that the sensors are going bad. Nip it in the butt and replace the assembly now, before it start to make noise and affect the ride quality.

yeah i started hearing a like clunk nose when i turned the wheel to the right on a turn could that be the bearing?

[ChaosweaveR]
12-25-2010, 05:42 PM
yeah i started hearing a like clunk nose when i turned the wheel to the right on a turn could that be the bearing?

The bearings are starting to lock occasionally it sounds like. Mine never did that, but I got a nasty hum and vibration from the right side at speeds above 40mph.

GRAND-AM-SE
12-25-2010, 05:42 PM
;1146164']The bearings are starting to lock occasionally it sounds like. Mine never did that, but I got a nasty hum and vibration from the right side at speeds above 40mph.

i cant hear much cuz i got a exhaust leak haha

[ChaosweaveR]
12-25-2010, 06:40 PM

Then fix the exhaust leak. ;)

BattousaiX33
12-26-2010, 11:35 AM
;1146164']The bearings are starting to lock occasionally it sounds like. Mine never did that, but I got a nasty hum and vibration from the right side at speeds above 40mph.

Thats what both of my front wheel bearings did when they went. and when the shop replaced them, to turn the bearing by hand i was almost not able to turn them.

lol i got the same problem right now. ;crap

also if you jack the front of the car, turn both front wheels to see if they spin freely or if they are hard to turn.