Dome light - please help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dome light - please help

howley71489
12-28-2010, 04:59 PM
so my dome light fell when i was drving today and the wires that go into the clip all ripped out. I have no idea where the wire belong on the clip. the colors are orange, white, and black. sorry for the crude drawing but its like 20 degrees out not including wind chill and i dont feel like going outside to take a pic

mds33200
12-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Well as a warning I can tell you make sure you wrap the broken end of the chord with electric tape (wrap all three wires seperate- dont wrap them all together which would short them out) because if the wires are left frayed and the wire touches metal it can cause a spark (if the light is activated by hitting the remote, opening a door, turning the car off, or hitting the light switch, etc)

It may have ripped because it could have been dangeling for a while, and the weight of the light fixture put pressure on the wires, causing the wires to rub against a metal bracket. As the car goes over bumps and turns left and right, etc, the metal bracket actually cuts the wires (over a slow process) and eventually the fixture falls because the wire is cut by the metal bracket.

With that given its kind of hard to reattatch because there isnt much slack left in the line.

Would have been much easier to fix if it was done as soon as they started to dangle, (as I realized myself after that happened to me).

I would tell you how to connect them back (which color goes where) if I could locate my dome light- I traced the circuit so I could know how to reconnect mine back but I never got to the reinstall yet. I put the dome light somwhere because I didnt know how I was going to reinstall it due to the lack of slack in the line, and its been so long that I dont even remember where I put my dome light lol.

Sorry I cant tell you which wire goes where, but I figured I would pass on that warning on anyways

mds33200
12-28-2010, 10:06 PM
PS- after looking at the diagram again it looks like maybe it wasnt a slow process- maybe the fixture fell out and it pulled the wires right out of the socket (instead of dangeling)?

If that is the case you dont have to be concerned about the warning because the wires are protected by the socket.

howley71489
12-28-2010, 10:56 PM
i have the wire taped off as soon as it happend (always keep electrical tape in my car) the wires are still good it just pulled out of the clip that goes into the dome light assembly