Coolant mystery [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant mystery

ioseida
12-28-2010, 06:07 PM
So for some reason every morning I start my car (colds start) the low coolant light pops up, I have notice some coolant smell coming from the hood. Looks like it might be somewhere dripping and evaporating where ever it falls... Just today i saw the two hoses that go into the heater core, Does any one know if there is any other hoses that are back there besides the heater core ones, because the smell of coolant is more intense back there.. Seen no leaks by the way.

PhantomLover007
12-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Is your coolant cap on tight?

AaronGTR
12-29-2010, 09:47 AM
There are no other coolant hoses back there. It could be leaking somewhere else on the back of the engine though like from intake gasket. Have you checked the coolant level in the reservoir?

pontiacgt05
12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Does your coolant light come on? I had this problem and couldnt find a leak anywhere, it ended up being a crack in the radiator.

ioseida
12-30-2010, 11:55 AM
THanks for the replys...Yeah coolant cap is tight on, The other morning started up my car and the temp gauge didnt wrk, dnt notice it till I got to work,I hooked up a code finder and it pop up with P0128 coolant thermostat ( cooolant temp below thermostat regulatory temperature), erased the code and gauge worked again, my car doesnt over heat at all goes 200 two lines above and then back down to 200..I live in LA, CALI so its a bunch of traffic..I put a half bottle of coolant, still see no leaks, I am thinking maybe its my heater core, my car does have 160,000 miles its a veteran..lol.what ya think.

350rs
12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
You could bring it to a shop and have various tests run. They can check the coolant for exhaust gases. All kinds of things.

KhellendrosxS
01-01-2011, 06:14 AM
If you add a UV dye to the coolant and drive around for a few days and pop the hood when its dark and shine a black light around the engine and you have glowing spots youve found the source of the leak.

UV dye for this purpose is sold at the parts stores. Also, dont overtighten the coolant cap. If you do you risk damaging the gasket and it wont hold pressure.

ioseida
01-01-2011, 07:12 PM
If you add a UV dye to the coolant and drive around for a few days and pop the hood when its dark and shine a black light around the engine and you have glowing spots youve found the source of the leak.

UV dye for this purpose is sold at the parts stores. Also, dont overtighten the coolant cap. If you do you risk damaging the gasket and it wont hold pressure.

I will try that dye, never really used something like that, by the way after wards just drain the coolant and dye and add new coolant right

KhellendrosxS
01-02-2011, 01:17 PM
I dont think you have to drain out they dye. I have dye in my AC lines in case those ever leak again. The package should tell you if its safe to leave it in or not.

rocketfast123
01-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Just get a black light, coolant will show up without the dye.

AquaAcorn
01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
its probily ur gasket in the back side of ur engine.

ioseida
01-04-2011, 12:26 AM
its probily ur gasket in the back side of ur engine.

No dnt say that...lol..if it is I am getting a complete motor..

ioseida
01-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Well I think I solved the problem, well I was not the actual heater hoses. It was the small plastic parts that go on the heater core hose, the ones that connect to the pipe that goes to engine and the other metal one that goes back to reservoir, Weird how those hoses had a plastic thing that connected them :iconfused. Well plastic was done for and water was coming out thru there, also changed my tstat, upper and lower radiator hose, and small little hoses near t stat, all seams good no leaks and no coolant burning smell..:woot: Now I can enjoy my silver GA once again. thanks everyone.:gasilver:

AaronGTR
01-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Ah yes... those are quick connect fittings. I always hated those. They definitely don't disconnected quickly, and yeah if the plastic gets old and brittle from heat they can break, then the connections don't stay tight and will leak.

ioseida
01-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Ah yes... those are quick connect fittings. I always hated those. They definitely don't disconnected quickly, and yeah if the plastic gets old and brittle from heat they can break, then the connections don't stay tight and will leak.

Yeah that is a bad idea tho, GM should of never used those quick fittings, well at least I wont have to worry about them anymore, because I did not install any quick fittings anymore to avoid that whole problem again.

lone_wolf025
09-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Resurrecting an old thread. Anyone else seen this issue with the plastic parts going bad? I've got a bad coolant leak and the strongest smell is coming from the back of the engine so I'm wondering if its the same thing. Also anyone know cost of replacement on those things enough to give a ballpark number?