HELPPPPP coolant coming out of reservoir [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HELPPPPP coolant coming out of reservoir

gtboi2003
12-28-2010, 11:38 PM
the coolant on my 99 grand am gt keeps coming out. i did the head gasket and the intake gasket and after that i filled up the coolant and drove and it comes out of the reservoir tank. tryed bleeding the system over 20 times and now i changed the cap. i must have spend about 100 dollars on coolant in the past 3 months. i drive the car it doesnt over heat when i have coolant. when i park it it spits it out of the overflow and onto the floor, it keeps doing this till i have no more coolant that means no more heat and its freezing here and than eventually causing my car to overheat cause i have no coolant. changed thermostat when i did my head gasket.

someone anyone out there please help me figure this out its ridiculous if i need to tear the engine apart again i will. please help

icecats87
12-28-2010, 11:56 PM
the coolant on my 99 grand am gt keeps coming out. i did the head gasket and the intake gasket and after that i filled up the coolant and drove and it comes out of the reservoir tank. tryed bleeding the system over 20 times and now i changed the cap. i must have spend about 100 dollars on coolant in the past 3 months. i drive the car it doesnt over heat when i have coolant. when i park it it spits it out of the overflow and onto the floor, it keeps doing this till i have no more coolant that means no more heat and its freezing here and than eventually causing my car to overheat cause i have no coolant. changed thermostat when i did my head gasket.

someone anyone out there please help me figure this out its ridiculous if i need to tear the engine apart again i will. please help

Sounds to me the cap isnt holding pressure, where did you buy the new one? How many psi is it?

gtboi2003
12-29-2010, 12:13 AM
its 15 psi i bought it from a parts store its a stant cap.

icecats87
12-29-2010, 12:29 AM
its 15 psi i bought it from a parts store its a stant cap.

Weird i had this problem and the cap fixed it same with a grand am that came to my schools shop maybe try anoter cap?

gtboi2003
12-29-2010, 12:34 AM
i have no idea about this **** anymore its pissing me off now im thinking when i did the head gasket maybe its the wrong way i dont remember i went to my school for a pressure test and there was a leak somewhere but it was from the bleeder underneath where the o-ring is i change that

AaronGTR
12-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Well, obviously there is either a leak somewhere that isn't letting the system hold pressure. That or the head gaskets didn't get installed right or the heads are warped. I would get the system pressure tested and see if it's holding as much pressure as the cap holds. I've also heard of the coolant overflow tank getting warped before so maybe that could be causing the cap not to seal.

gtboi2003
12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
is there a special way to install the head gasket could it be that the front head gasket should have been in the back or could it be that their upside down?

gtboi2003
01-02-2011, 12:11 AM
i bled the system once again i had heat and than i stopped having heat checked the bleeder and there is air in the system so im getting a bit of air from somewhere no more coolant spilling out but where can i be getting this air from?

GrandAmGTTT
01-02-2011, 08:25 AM
are you sure that the cap is working and holding the pressure. If the cap isn't working properly you will get air into the coolant system. If you can i would swap caps with a buddy's car that you know for sure works, to rule the cap out

gtboi2003
01-02-2011, 01:13 PM
i bought a brand new cap

VSU 03GrandAm
01-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I have a very similar problem with a coolant leak on my son's GT. I had the system pressure tested and they found the cap was loose. They tightened the cap and it passed the pressure test. After a 2 hour drive the car nearly ran hot because all of the coolant leaked out but there was no sign of where it came out. After numerous refills and no spots on the driveway nor under the hood, I taped a bottle to the overflow tube on the resevoir. The coolant was definitely coming out there but only when the car is being driven. I replaced the tank with a new one but the problem remains. Anyone have any idea what's causing the coolant to be forced out of the overflow tube? Seems like the tank is getting pressurized and forcing the fluid out.

WidbyJ
01-10-2011, 08:06 PM
In general this type of problem is due to exhaust getting into the coolant, whether a bad/wrong/worn gasket or warped/cracked head/block. The hot gasses will pressurize the coolant system too high and it may come out through the normal tank/cap or by working its way into the oil (bad) or it gets burned and goes out the exhaust (not so bad). In any case I suggest driving it as little as possible until repaired properly.

I suggest:
1 - Drain the oil into a pan. Look for signs of coolant. Water here is not good. Refill.
If this is OK then,
2 - Use UV Dye in the cooling system to locate any external leaks. May need to run it long enough to get fully hot before any appear. Would be best to do with a pressure indicating cap or gauge installed somewhere. Many external leaks can be repaired without engine work.
If this is OK then,
3 - Record the compression for each cylinder. This will help locate where the failure is. Any variance of more than 10% is indicative of problems. It may be that only one bank is causing problems (although doing both sides is a good idea). With the radiator cap off many times a compression test will put bubbles into the coolant also, sure sign of leakage.
By this point I would expect the problem to either be obvious or gaskets need to be changed. When you open it up the problem will usually be pretty easy to see when a gasket is faulty. If the gaskets look fine then you'd want to check for cracks/warpage, not fun.

Hope this helps. Good luck! Please correct me if I'm wrong...

P.S. Has the heater been working when there is coolant? A clogged core could cause troubles like this

VSU 03GrandAm
01-11-2011, 11:25 PM
In general this type of problem is due to exhaust getting into the coolant, whether a bad/wrong/worn gasket or warped/cracked head/block. The hot gasses will pressurize the coolant system too high and it may come out through the normal tank/cap or by working its way into the oil (bad) or it gets burned and goes out the exhaust (not so bad). In any case I suggest driving it as little as possible until repaired properly.

I suggest:
1 - Drain the oil into a pan. Look for signs of coolant. Water here is not good. Refill.
If this is OK then,
2 - Use UV Dye in the cooling system to locate any external leaks. May need to run it long enough to get fully hot before any appear. Would be best to do with a pressure indicating cap or gauge installed somewhere. Many external leaks can be repaired without engine work.
If this is OK then,
3 - Record the compression for each cylinder. This will help locate where the failure is. Any variance of more than 10% is indicative of problems. It may be that only one bank is causing problems (although doing both sides is a good idea). With the radiator cap off many times a compression test will put bubbles into the coolant also, sure sign of leakage.
By this point I would expect the problem to either be obvious or gaskets need to be changed. When you open it up the problem will usually be pretty easy to see when a gasket is faulty. If the gaskets look fine then you'd want to check for cracks/warpage, not fun.

Hope this helps. Good luck! Please correct me if I'm wrong...

P.S. Has the heater been working when there is coolant? A clogged core could cause troubles like this
Thanks for your help. I will get to look at it this weekend. He is going to check the heater later today. I definitely believe the coolant system is getting overpressurized but locating the problem will be interesting and/or costly.

AaronGTR
01-16-2011, 07:16 PM
I swear... seems like there have been so many threads in here recently with people having trouble with coolant leaks.... you guys must have put a hex on me! :( Now MY car is venting coolant out the tube on the reservoir!

Never had this problem before, but I haven't been driving it much recently since it's been so cold out. Had to drive it this week since the grand prix is down, and suddenly thursday night my low coolant light came on. Basically means one of two things. Either the cap is bad, or I have a blown head gasket. It would really tick me off if it's the head gaskets since they aren't that old and I have ARP head studs. I guess it's time to pull the plugs and check 'em and do a compression test. Soon as I get the GP back on the road anyway.

juanvan
01-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Aaron - Easier getting the head gasket check tool from Napa - blue liquid turns yellow = HG takes all of 10 mins and you just sit there squeezing the bulb.

AaronGTR
01-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Uh, I don't think that will work with a system like ours. I looked it up since I'd never heard of it. They tell you to insert the tool in the radiator neck and that coolant must be circulating. Our radiator doesn't have a neck and isn't accessible. And coolant doesn't really circulate through the reservoir.

Anyway, I can tell just as easily from a compression test if there is a problem, and I don't have to buy anything 'cause I already have the tools. Also I've never done a compression or leak down test in this engine and I'd kinda like to know what shape it's in. ;)

juanvan
01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Na it works- more so for the ones that have it coming out the blow hose - if the coolant gets hot water is moving. :)

I like the leak down more for bent valves - just more time closing each chamber to test. If you have to take the heads off anyway - machine shop can check them easier when they are all closed.

SC/T02
01-17-2011, 09:13 PM
when i park it it spits it out of the overflow and onto the floor

Have you checked the lines under the dash on the heater core? Similar issues to this. Whenn the heater core will release the pressure, it could be pumping it out. Just a guess here. Not sure if you mean floor of the car, or the ground. IS there any coolant in the oil? Anything come out of the oil weep hole?

VSU 03GrandAm
01-29-2011, 10:30 AM
I had a compression test done at my local Chevy dealer to confirm my problem was the head gasket. Of corse it is and they wanted $2100 to fix it. I got another quote from a mech that I trust but his price was $1800. I did all the work myself using the LIM and Head Gasket Change Walkthrough/FAQ by angrysk8r on this site in addition to a Haynes manual. Replaced the head gasket and LIM gaskets with a total cost of $500 ($200 was in tools). NO MORE COOLANT LEAK! Be aware that GM has a tech bulletin that changes the torque spec on the LIM gasket bolts from what is listed in the procedure. Also be careful when tightening the rocker arm bolts. I had two of them strip out on me.

gtboi2003
02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
like i sayed i changed the head gasket in the summer outside so this time we looked around and say coolant was coming from the head. So we started the next day it took about 3 days to do the head gasket just a reminder to all of you that change head gaskets CHECK YOUR HEADS TO SEE IF THEY ARE WARPED mine were warped .010 so we had to shave ten thou off the head. it is really important to do that this way you dont have to send twice the money like i did

juanvan
02-01-2011, 10:17 AM
That is not bad 3 days to do it..

adriazulcrema
03-14-2012, 06:56 PM
I don't know if this is even an active thread but worth a shot. So I was in a head on wreck and my grand am ended up having to have most of the front replaced. Now when we've done most of the repairs we find that the water, which we're only testing with for now, is coming out of the reservoir as soon as the engine is shut off. The car hasn't been run other than in the parking garage as a precaution and has been on several times for about 30 minutes at a time and this happens every time. I've been going through your previous posts and keep reading about you guys' having problems with the radiator holding pressure because of a "cap"--please don't just write me off, I'm in no way, shape, or form saying that I know what the heck I'm talking about, which is why I am here. My dad says it might require a thermostat change because of all the parts that had to be replaced (radiator, condenser, lines..) but since he can only offer me over the phone help and my mechanics are stumped by this problem, I wanted to see what the online communities suggestions were.

VSU 03GrandAm
03-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Adriana, I assume the water is coming out of the pressure relief line on the reservoir. I don't know if you have the same problem I did because the coolant was coming out of the same place on my son's car only while it was being driven. The reservoir was being pressurized by a bad head gasket that was allowing exhaust gases to pressurized the coolant channels going through the engine block. There are ways to test to see if you have a bad head gasket without taking the engine apart. I would ask a local auto parts store about a test kit if you haven't already. If that's the problem then definitely go to thread in the forum for LIM and Head Change Walktrough . It saved me about $1,300.
Tom

ATXGrunt
03-18-2012, 09:08 AM
I had this issue while back when i first bought mine. I had a 02 Grand AM GT. I was going thru coolant often and couldn't see no leak. I replaced the Cap and it didn't fix the issue. I noticed the cap was a bit tough to get off unlike normal caps so I replaced the coolant tank and that solved it. But I also replaced the hoses few weeks later.

cocobob
03-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Just a heads up if your coolant leak is caused by a head gasket ( losing coolant but no outside leaks, smell out of exhaust, loss of power going uphill, automatic tranny not wanting to change gear to higher one, rev limiting) - please be ready to have to replace tyhe catalytic converter - the silicon in the antifreeze that leaked from the head gasket into a cylinder will destroy the precious metals in the cat that converts gases to safer cleaner gases - the metals will breakdown the waffer and clog the exhaust resulting in a loss of power. ( BTW that cylinder that had antifreeze leaking into it will be sparkling clean once head is removed as antifreeze cleans the head)

FutureDC_FLY_GT
04-28-2012, 09:08 AM
I am having a similar problem. Not sure if it is the LIM and headers. I know I have had gasket problems occasionally & I will eventually need to get the gaskets replaced bc it is leaking oil and chronically seeping power steering but I never run out of power steering & I never need to add any, it just always seems to be wetness on the ps reservoir, but I will be in the shop soon

FutureDC_FLY_GT
05-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Just a heads up if your coolant leak is caused by a head gasket ( losing coolant but no outside leaks, smell out of exhaust, loss of power going uphill, automatic tranny not wanting to change gear to higher one, rev limiting) - please be ready to have to replace tyhe catalytic converter - the silicon in the antifreeze that leaked from the head gasket into a cylinder will destroy the precious metals in the cat that converts gases to safer cleaner gases - the metals will breakdown the waffer and clog the exhaust resulting in a loss of power. ( BTW that cylinder that had antifreeze leaking into it will be sparkling clean once head is removed as antifreeze cleans the head)

Thank you very much for this information. I seem to have blown another head gasket and I am having this problem with 2 of my cylinder heads and I will be talking about this with my 'tech tomorrow.

FutureDC_FLY_GT
05-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Ah man I am not super happy right now. My car ran good for about a week, although it is slightly over heating still.

Now it is making a noise like a jet on the runway. Here is the video:

http://youtu.be/LB2rUimZXvg

Do you think this is the catalytic converter and do you think it is a job a novice could do themselves and if not how much do you reckon a shop would charge me for this work?

The guys on youtube make it look so easy, just jack it up and take off some bolts. I can buy some jack stands and try it myself but considering I just put some money into it I am a bit disappointed right now.

I am no expert but someone here mentioned cats needing replaced with these types of problems. I asked the shop when they were fixing my gaskets and this noise just started today, but I would think that if someone on here knew it would need it considering the coolant in the heads that the repair shop should have known it would need it, right? This stinks man.