Valve Springs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Valve Springs

G.I.Ceo
01-01-2011, 12:27 AM
I am getting ready to change out my intakes and figured it would be worth taking a look at replacing my valve springs will LS6 one's. I have around 76,000 miles on it and down the road I will be spraying the car with a wet shot NOS kit. Anyone have a suggestion if I should change them or will the stock one's hold?

Malaclypse
01-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Valve springs aren't really necessary unless you have one that's weak or you're increasing your engine redline.

Stick with the stockers. If you do install a nitrous kit (NOS is a brand, not a type of power adder) look at getting spark plugs that are a heat range colder than stock and closing the gap to .040 - .045".

G.I.Ceo
01-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Well I was looking at the valve springs since I will already be there. I have been told when adding a nitrous kit that it is a good idea to replace the valve springs. I guess i will see how they are when I tear my manifolds off.

Nick-G
01-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Valve springs aren't really necessary unless you have one that's weak or you're increasing your engine redline.

Stick with the stockers. If you do install a nitrous kit (NOS is a brand, not a type of power adder) look at getting spark plugs that are a heat range colder than stock and closing the gap to .040 - .045".

Stock valve springs are weak period.

Upgrading them is cheap enough that you might as well upgrade them if you are going to have things apart anyways.

AaronGTR
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Stock springs can get weak with high miles, and they def aren't strong enough for bigger cams, but upgrading them won't be necessary for nitrous. Also 70k miles isn't that much, and they probably don't need upgrading if you have a stock redline. If it's been raised though, or you are gonna do that or change the cam in the future, then they might be worth getting.