00 GT runs fine but dies when let off gas pedal... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 00 GT runs fine but dies when let off gas pedal...

eBandit
01-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I went out and the car was running fine, I stopped at a store wasn't in long at all, came out and it had trouble starting. Then once it started the car died.

While driving it will accelerate fine but if I let the RPM drop too low it dies whether at a light or going down the road. The RPM will just drop and it dies so I have to keep my foot on the gas as I stop etc. When it dies it has trouble starting and I have to give it gas as I start it.

It has been fine before this except there were a few times off and on that it had trouble starting unless I pressed the gas pedal a little while starting but today when I first started it, it did ok.

In few I am going out to look for anything unplugged, hose leeks etc. I thought about maybe I should clean the MAF and throttle body, I guess (sound like anything to look at?).

What else should I check to solve this problem? I really needed the car in the morning so I wanted to post right away for help in hopes that someone points me in the right direction if I strike out.

Thank You to anyone that helps! I need to figure this out as soon as I can because I am down to one vehicle right now.

Shade2012
01-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Sounds like the exact same thing my car has been doing, and i have yet to find the solution, I will keep and eye on this thread..but my car will do that probably once every two weeks, it is very annoying, then about 2 hours later it will start up fine and work the way it should.

350rs
01-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Check/clean/replace the IAC. That would be my first place to consider. If that isnt working properly your car could die at low RPM. If you replace it, be sure you clean the seat in the TB to ensure a good (enough) seal.

May or may not be your problem, but thats a quick easy fix, and its not super expensive. I always go cheap and easy first unless i know what it is 100%.

Wouldnt hurt to clean the MAF carefully. While thats off check the throttle blade for any kinda bindage or buildup. Clean if necessary.

eBandit
01-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Check/clean/replace the IAC. That would be my first place to consider. If that isnt working properly your car could die at low RPM. If you replace it, be sure you clean the seat in the TB to ensure a good (enough) seal.

May or may not be your problem, but thats a quick easy fix, and its not super expensive. I always go cheap and easy first unless i know what it is 100%.

Wouldnt hurt to clean the MAF carefully. While thats off check the throttle blade for any kinda bindage or buildup. Clean if necessary.

Would the IAC let the cars idle drop till it dies? Any way to test it, or is that a replace and see item, have to get my manual out- dont even know what I'm looking for. Never messed with that part before. Its about $26 I think for a new one when I looked it up online.

thanks

eBandit
01-03-2011, 02:24 PM
well I tested the IAC per my manual, it said check the resistance across 1 & 2 and compare to 3 & 4 on the terminals. If they are different or there is an open circuit then replace it, they both are very very close. It then says if it is OK to have the PCM diagnosed by a shop. I hope that isn't the next step. I cleaned it and the MAF both.

350rs
01-03-2011, 03:30 PM
if thats reading ok then its likely not your problem. Check the fuel pressure?

mlog
01-03-2011, 11:35 PM
I've had a problem twice over the past month where my 99 GA won't start. It hasn't died on me yet. It turns over just fine, seems to initially start, drops below idle, and then dies. At least I think it started -- but maybe it never did. It drops off so quickly that it's hard to tell for sure if it started. Anyway, the last time, it failed to start (or stay running) three times in a row, and the fourth time it started OK. It's creepy. I'm wondering if I'll get stranded somewhere and not be able to start it. Keep me posted if you figure it out. I'll do the same.

One more thing. I checked for engine codes and had none.

ioseida
01-04-2011, 01:22 AM
I kinda had the same problem a couple months ago.like my car would start but then it would go off unless I kept the gas on it..sometimes it would start n good to go but it go go off later..Try the fuel pressure regulator. that did it for me..

eBandit
01-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Last night after I put the cleaned IAC and MAF back on it was very hard to start but started and ran fine (sprayed MAF cleaner all around the throttle body etc.. before putting it all together too). I shut it off and it started and ran fine. Not sure if it is intermittent issue or if that did anything. last time I cleaned the MAF due to idle up and down it was way more dirty than it was this time so I wouldn't think that was it. I am due to change the fule filter (overdue really) could that be an issue. I will have to get the stuff to check fuel pressure though I dont have gauge and whatever I need to connect it, or I could have it done I guess.

Glad I didn't damage the IAC though, I seen in the manual where it said for installing a new one to push the pintle in until less than 1 1/8" stick-out from flange and mine was past 1 1/4". I didn't know you shouldn't mess with an old one until I looked it up after being unable to push it or tap it in. oops.

I was going to check and see if any codes are stored also but no light is on. I can view live sensor data with my scanner but dont really know how to use all that info yet, would any of that help anyone here to diagnose?

Thanks again, I'm going to drive it today and cross my fingers but am not convinced it is solved yet..............

JRYAN34
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Fuel Pump?

eBandit
01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Fuel Pump?

I'll price one. It has yet to act up again. would the fuel pump act like that at start/idle but be fine when you accelerate?

Shade2012
01-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I'll price one. It has yet to act up again. would the fuel pump act like that at start/idle but be fine when you accelerate?

I have these same problems, and I called a dealer near by about it, they said with these symptoms it wouldn't be the fuel pump.

eBandit
01-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Hmmm. Mine hasn't acted up since I cleaned the MAF etc. But I really dont think that was it because it wasn't very dirty at all. The last time I cleaned it (before this time), it was VERY dirty but didn't act like this. With the dirty MAF in the past, it made it seem to not have as much power and idle up and down at times but never die.

eBandit
01-29-2011, 12:03 AM
well it is running ok still but getting harder to start, have to press the pedal while starting until its started and ran about 10 seconds. I want to have a non-related noise listened to as well, I might take it to someone to check it out.

Shade2012
01-29-2011, 11:08 AM
well it is running ok still but getting harder to start, have to press the pedal while starting until its started and ran about 10 seconds. I want to have a non-related noise listened to as well, I might take it to someone to check it out.

Funny thing happened to me the other day, I was hearing a loud screeching noise under the hood and it was getting annoying, turns out it was the idler pulley next to the alternator so I had it replaced, but while the guy was doing it he checked the bigger idler pulley under the one that was making the noise, and he couldnt even spin it with his hand (should spin freely) so he replaced it.

Since then my car has been starting perfectly every morning without me pressing the gas pedal, however, occasionally it has died while starting. But it hasnt been as often.

Thats just an idea thrown out there, since you said you have been hearing a noise. It may not be the complete problem but it has fixed my probelm.