Quick Oil/additives Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Quick Oil/additives Question

ioseida
01-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey everyone,

Well my Grand AM GT, is due for an oil change and a oil tranny change also.

1. What kind of oil do you all recommend and with what viscosity since my car has 165,000 miles?

I have been running wix/or napa oil filter and MOBIL synthetic HIGH Mileage 10W40.

Some people I know tell me the oil I use is not right, they say 20W50 is better cause the engine is already old and is a veteran..

Also I live in Los Angeles California so traffic is a pain in the rear, stop and go all day everyday..

2. What additive can I use for motor? LUCAS maybe?

3. What additive can I use for my gas tank/ injector cleaner, I have never used an injector cleaner because words say that it ruins gas pumps..

Any info can be appreciated. thanks.

Mike Jung
01-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey everyone,

Well my Grand AM GT, is due for an oil change and a oil tranny change also.

1. What kind of oil do you all recommend and with what viscosity since my car has 165,000 miles?

I have been running wix/or napa oil filter and MOBIL synthetic HIGH Mileage 10W40.

Some people I know tell me the oil I use is not right, they say 20W50 is better cause the engine is already old and is a veteran..

Also I live in Los Angeles California so traffic is a pain in the rear, stop and go all day everyday..

2. What additive can I use for motor? LUCAS maybe?

3. What additive can I use for my gas tank/ injector cleaner, I have never used an injector cleaner because words say that it ruins gas pumps..

Any info can be appreciated. thanks.
1st of all: Put NO additives into your motor oil crankcase.
ESPECIALLY LUCAS !!!

Your Grand AM was designed for 5W-30.
There is no reason to be using 10W-40, that has a viscosity @ 100C of 14.71 cSt !!!
Never mind 20W-50.
A 50 viscosity motor oil would be, a viscosity @ 100C of 16.30-21.89 cSt range.

I recommend that you use Mobil 1 5W-30 that is a viscosity @ 100C of 11.1 cSt (which is slightly more than their Mobil 1 10W-30 version.)

If you want a strong additive pack in the motor oil, use: Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance, that has a viscosity @ 100C of 11.2 cSt.

PS: Back when the Grand AM was released, typical 5W-30 motor oils were a viscosity @ 100C of 10.0 cSt range (& some still are).

IMO, I would shy away from "High Mileage" version oils.
As they generally have a "Seal Conditioner"/swollener in them.

So, why are people telling you to put extra thick viscosity motor oils in your car ?
Is the engine not healthy ?

I run (German) Castrol Syntec 0W-30 Euro Formula in mine.
It has a viscosity @ 100C of 12.21 cSt.
I also run it in my G8, that sees normal operating oil temps of 220-230F range.

ioseida
01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks for your info Mike, really informative, Well why are they telling me that I dnt know they said it was much better for older motors because using higher viscosity oil, you can boost the oil pressure back to normal levels and increase bearing film strength, but my engine is still good, feels pretty good and starts up right away..just like any other engine...

About that mobil 1 extended perf oil, isnt that an oil that according to Mobil last like 15,000 miles..lol...I really dnt think it last that long, how long do u think that oil will last maybe 6,000 the most!

Malaclypse
01-05-2011, 09:34 PM
The people who're telling you to use 20w50 are probably used to the OLLLD engines. Modern engines have much tighter bearing clearences so wear and oil pressure loss isn't as much of an issue.

With careful monitoring of your oil you can get more than 6,000 miles out of many high grade oils out there today.

Me personally? I play it safe. In my NA Ecotecs and my 3100 I changed the oil every 5-6k miles using synthetic. That was even considered early. In my turbo Ecotec I change it every 4k or so based on my short trips, mostly city driving with high load. That and the turbo heats that crap up rather quickly.

Mike Jung
01-05-2011, 10:51 PM
If your Grand AM engine is healthy.

Use the OLM system.
When has the CHANGE OIL light come on for you ? (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72502)
It has come on for me from 3K to 5K miles.

On my G8:
It has come on 9K & 11K miles
But it has a 8.8 US Quart oil sump also lol

Edmunds ran their long term test of a '08 Pontaic G8 GT for 13K miles, before a Service Engine Oil message came on in the DIC.
& had Blackstone Labs do a UOA of it afterwards.
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2010/01/2008-pontiac-g8-gt-lab-results-on-13000-mile-oil.html

PS: Oil flow is more important, than oil pressure.
As long as you have 10 psi per 1000 rpm as a guideline (I've heard).

ioseida
01-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Me personally? I play it safe. In my NA Ecotecs and my 3100 I changed the oil every 5-6k miles using synthetic. That was even considered early. In my turbo Ecotec I change it every 4k or so based on my short trips, mostly city driving with high load. That and the turbo heats that crap up rather quickly.

Yeah I probably do that like 5 to 6k..on oil Usually do on synthetic about the same 4to5k..

@MIKE My change oil light has never come up, it did like 2 years ago when i purchased the car but ever since then never again..and i reset it only once 2 yrs ago..lol.

Mike Jung
01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah I probably do that like 5 to 6k..on oil Usually do on synthetic about the same 4to5k..

@MIKE My change oil light has never come up, it did like 2 years ago when i purchased the car but ever since then never again..and i reset it only once 2 yrs ago..lol.
For the 1st 9.5 years of ownership, I've never seen the Change Oil light come on before.
I was doing oil change intervals of every 6 months (as per GM Canada recommendation); or if the OLM system said to.
& reseted the OLM system after each oil change.

Then decided to try to stretch the the OCI to once a year or if the OLM system said to change it, or if I hit the 7.8K miles limit as stated in my owner's manual.
As I was using a synthetic motor oil that was rated for extended OCI.

IMO, do what you want for mileage interval for your OCI; if it makes you feel better.
But still reset the OLM system, after each oil change.
This way you have a warning if you have gone too long without an oil change; based on your driving conditions.

But make sure you never run your OCI period greater than 1 year.
As motor oil used in a engine goes/could go bad after a year period.

ioseida
01-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Hey Mike I was reading your over sized oil filters thread, and so the Napa gold 1036 is way better than the Napa gold 1040, right? but it looks pretty long..lol.. but i am down to give it a try is it this one on this link below. Oh and how many quarts do I need for that long napa filter?
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=FIL1036_0192939100#

Mike Jung
01-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Hey Mike I was reading your over sized oil filters thread, and so the Napa gold 1036 is way better than the Napa gold 1040, right? but it looks pretty long..lol.. but i am down to give it a try is it this one on this link below. Oh and how many quarts do I need for that long napa filter?
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=FIL1036_0192939100#
Wow, that was a while ago lol
I had to go to http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp to double check on the part #'s.
Too many part #'s in my head...AC Delco oil filters: PF-44, PF-47, PF-48, PF-52

Yeah, I use the NAPA Gold 1036 in my GA.
It is the equivalent size to an AC Delco PF-52.

I would say about 4.5 L / 4.75 US Quarts for the oil change.
Just fill it to the full line on the dipstick.

ioseida
01-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Wow, that has been a long time.
I had to go to http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp to double check on the part #'s lol
Too many part #'s in my head...AC Delco oil filters: PF-44, PF-47, PF-48, PF-52

Yeah, I use the NAPA Gold 1036 in my GA.
It is the equivalent size to an AC Delco PF-52.

I would say about 4.5 L / 4.75 US Quarts for the oil change.
Just fill it to the full line on the dipstick.

Yes Sir I was reading the ones u linked up and that over sized one, pretty informative, so I would be going with that NAPA one/mobil 1 ext life and reset the change oil light for sure. thanks for you valuable info...

[ChaosweaveR]
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
The added oil from the oversized PF-52 helps out a lot. I've been using that size filter for over a year now, And my 5K intervals are no issue.

I recently went back to semi-synthetic (Castrol) but I used to use Castrol Edge, and with the oversized filter, I went 7K-8K no problem. Ate less than a half quart of oil, and my motor is still good with oil consumption on semi-synthetic (half a quart after 5K) My GA just rolled over 134K, these motors will last a long time if taken care of.

AaronGTR
01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Agree with everything said so far... there is NO reason for you to run anything other than 5w30 in your engine. It's not going to wear out enough that you need to change oil viscousity to keep pressure up. Unless you have an oil pressure gauge and have noticed a drop in pressure, there is no reason for you to even be concerned about oil pressure.

Mobil1 is still better than most generic oils on the market, but it's not as good as it used to be. I recently switched to Castrol syntech in my grand am. I've been using either Castrol synblend or high mileage in my grand prix for some time with great results. Lab tests of the oil showed no abnormal wear and I'm able to run it for 7,000 miles between changes. I would recommend the synblend to you since it's cheaper than full synthetic but still very high quality. Definitely do NOT put any additives in it.

Same for the transmission, no additives needed. If you are going to do anything with the trans, just drain it and change the filter, and refill it. The new GM Dexron VI is the best stuff and Castrol and Mobil both have Dexron VI equivalents, but it is more expensive. Regular Dexron IV will do the trick.

For a fuel system cleaner, this stuff seems to be pretty good chevron techron (http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/additives/tcp.aspx) , but don't expect it to work any miracles if your fuel system is really dirty.

[ChaosweaveR]
01-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Same for the transmission, no additives needed. If you are going to do anything with the trans, just drain it and change the filter, and refill it. The new GM Dexron VI is the best stuff and Castrol and Mobil both have Dexron VI equivalents, but it is more expensive. Regular Dexron IV will do the trick.

Gah, don't use new fluid. Especially if the trans has never been serviced before. Changing the filter is fine, but the old fluid has probably already thickened up, and it's holding the trans together. If you replace the filter, REUSE THE OLD FLUID. Putting new stuff will cause it the fall apart.

AaronGTR
01-06-2011, 05:25 PM
;1147045']Gah, don't use new fluid. Especially if the trans has never been serviced before. Changing the filter is fine, but the old fluid has probably already thickened up, and it's holding the trans together. If you replace the filter, REUSE THE OLD FLUID. Putting new stuff will cause it the fall apart.

No way. I HIGHLY disagree! You do not want to re-use old dirty fluid in your trans. You might as well not even change it then. Old fluid does not get thicker. If anything it gets thinner from absorbing water and other contaminants. It does get full of abrasive particles though. The filters are not very dense and only get out larger particles. They don't remove the really small stuff, you have to change fluid to get rid of those. I certainly wouldn't have it flushed... but just a drain and fresh fluid will NOT hurt anything.

[ChaosweaveR]
01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Well, I will say this: the best thing to do with a trans that's never been serviced...don't touch it! lol

It's just I've seen people have either transmission issues or failures if messing with an old transmission with no service. If it shifts fine, and fluid is adequate, leave it be.

ioseida
01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah I havent never done service on the tranny ever, it works perfectly fine but sice I have the car which is gonna be 3 yrs in Feb I have never done tranny service.. I was thinking like CHAOS, pops did a tranny on some car he bought like long time ago and then tranny started to act up..thats y I am so affraid, lol.. but I think I will do the service anyways if it gonna break then I guess its time has come...But thanks for the feedback guys I appreciated.

WidbyJ
01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
IMHO - Changing the filter and refreshing the fluid should never cause an automatic to 'suddenly' get worse although one that is already suffering may operate worse afterwards. I have never re-used any fluids and don't ever plan to, oil is not that expensive. Stay with the recommended fluid unless you plan to change it all as they may not blend properly. Make sure to get the fluid level set properly.

From what I have seen in many years with N-bodies the only time an auto suddenly goes bad is after it has been 'flushed' at some kind of quick lube place. I personally saw them improperly flush 2 GM cars before they got to my car the LAST time I went to one of those places... Forcing fluid through the trans is probably not good in most cases but if they hook it up backwards a lot of grit goes into the valving, not good at all.

If it makes you feel any better - I bought a Brand New 4T-45E GM trans from a dealer for my Malibu which failed within 100 miles. Yeah, they replaced it but I had to eat the labor because they didn't install it. Can do one in less than 4 hours now, yeah!