transmission filter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission filter

whiteGT99
01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
okay so me and my buddy are going to change my trans filter this weekend

so i have a noob question, i have never done a trans filter change(but my buddy has so he will be doing most of it)

just got a question on if this is what i need to get

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PTQ7/FK292.oap?keyword=transmission+filter&pt=03230&ppt=C0023

greatly appreciated

94cutlassvert
01-05-2011, 09:30 PM
sure is. just did mine last week, and grab a can of brake cleaner to clean the pan

AaronGTR
01-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Yep, that should be it.

A little tip to keep you from getting doused in trans fluid ;)... first take out all the bolts except ones in the four corners. Put your pan under one side or corner and then loosen the bolts on that end but don't remove them all the way. You might have to slightly loosen the two bolts and the other end and possibly pry a little with a screw driver on the end over the pan to break the seal, but then most of the fluid should drain towards the pan. You'll probably still have to clean some up off the floor though too (unless you have a huge pan anyway).

whiteGT99
01-06-2011, 04:34 PM
k thanks, also how many quarts to fill it back up and with out a dipstick how do i tell if it is full

AaronGTR
01-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Aaaaaah geez... I've posted it on here before but don't feel like looking it up right now. lol It's like 9 quarts or something. Same with info on checking the level. Do a search dude. lol

94cutlassvert
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
6.9 give or take i just put in 7

WidbyJ
01-06-2011, 07:13 PM
GM Service Manual states 6.9 quarts to refill after Bottom Pan Removal

I'd call it good at 7 quarts but HIGHLY recommend checking the fluid level the proper way before going too far. No dipstick so you have to do it from underneath while the car is warmed-up AND running, please be very careful! Process and pics are in other threads...

Happy Motoring!