2004 gt cold start trouble [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2004 gt cold start trouble

nellster
01-07-2011, 05:54 AM
I am posting on here hoping someone out there could help with some advice for my gt. As of Nov 1st 2010 I have not drivin my car, it had been to 2 mechanics plus twice to GM dealer,, now $1,000 later I still cannot start my car when it is cool or cold outside,, only starts when plugged in. It cranks very well, can hear the fuel pump as well, when we start it plugged in it is crazy how well it starts,as soon as it is cool in cranks and cranks,,,,,We have replaced according to the trouble codes all these parts.
fuel relay switch.
cam sensor
crankshaft sensor
coolant temparture sensor,although reader said it was ok.
air filter
fuel filter
replaced and programmed ECM
also checked fuel pressure , injector pulse and flow rate.
This car has everyone stumped as to it's problem, and GM was willing to keep diagnosing the car, but the bill keeps climbing without results. We are seriously considering waiting for spring to sell this car as we are so done with what seems to be a very small problem when it is all said and done with.
Anyone that has this same problem and could offer us some help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Jim, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Andy_GT
01-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Does spraying a little ether (starting fluid) into the intake cause it to fire when cold?

nellster
01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
yes it does everytime,, i actually forgot to mention that in my post,,any ideas?? thanks.

Andy_GT
01-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Does it stay running?

Separate thought...where did you check the fuel pressure? Before or after the Fuel Pressure Regulator?

What is plugging it in doing? Just warming the engine block? What areas does it warm? How long do you have to plug it in and warm it up before it will start?

street_fire
01-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Did you ever check if you might have a bad battery???

nellster
01-07-2011, 01:54 PM
thanks for your replies,, I plug it in at night and yes it does just warm the block. If I don.t plug it in at night and decide to plug it in at say 9am then with the sun warming up it will start by noon, and yes it will stay running and have even taken it down my street to get fuel and it started right up,after fillup, but won't take it too far for fear of it not starting again as it's cold here right now. Battery has not been checked as we don't know how old it is as we bought the car last summer and never had starting problems till november and this I will get on top of tomorrow. Will let you know how we make out, thanks alot.

Andy_GT
01-07-2011, 02:12 PM
If the starter turns the engine over fairly rapidly, it's probably not the battery. You can try jumping it to another vehicle with jumper cables and see if that makes it start when cold.

nellster
01-14-2011, 10:02 AM
NOPE ,,didn't think it was the battery, but replaced the original 2004 battery with a new one this morning and still no start,, i may need a torch,, any volunteers???

Ceej
01-15-2011, 08:05 AM
I have some pretty decent baseball bats...

nellster
01-17-2011, 05:05 AM
Installed new battery yesterday, no luck,, gonna try air intake temp sensor today,,,running out of parts to replace,,grrrrrr

nellster
01-25-2011, 04:33 AM
Sent the car out again, this time to a back yard mechanic,, dropped it off last thursday and on friday he had found the problem but kept the car a few days to make sure it would start cold once fixed. Keep in mind my wife and I are not mechanics or very mechanicly inclined but we tried to troubleshoot best we could,, so here it goes guys,,,, A DAM FREAKIN FUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BODY CONTROL MODULE as we are told.
1)Friend to work on and parts cost $200.00
2)GM dealer bill $600.00
3)Myself trouble shoot and parts $100.00
4) 50 CENT FUSE PRICELESS
Back on the road again today but it is -32 celcius with windchill today,so we shall see.
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO HELPED ME WITH TROUBLESHOOTING.